Tonight's Dinner - Smoked Whole Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Smoked whole chicken on the Traeger. Wet brine for 5 hours and dry rub of salt and pepper Two hours at 225, then bump it up to 375 for 30 minutes. BearMountain pellets and a smoke tube.

Attachments

• 20220809_180823.jpg
    20220809_180823.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220809_180820.jpg
    20220809_180820.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 24
Only at the drumsticks & wings. The rest, not at all.

I was disappointed with the color and the lack of crispiness. As a matter of fact, I NEVER get that dark color on anything I ever smoke on my Traeger, I see others who own a Traeger and they always have these beautiful amber, wine colored pork butts, ribs, and chickens. Mine never look that way.

But, as mentioned, it did taste great.

I appreciate all of the comments. I have a yard bird I'll be smoking over the weekend. I'm going to try a hot and fast cook - 375 for one hour - and see how it turns out. As far as a rub goes, I agree that paprika will probably help with the color. This will be added to the rub I'll be using. With regards to the wood, I don't know if using cherry wood will do anything to affect the overall color. I have about 12 pounds of competition pellets in my Traeger right now and will be using those for this next cook. Once again, thanks for the input.

I'm blocked so you'll most likely just burn it up on that pellet pooper
I think I'm blocked too so won't bother posting any helpful hints. Would be a waste of time. Also, I've only been doing BBQ for 15 years so probably don't have the experience to give advice to somebody who has purportedly been doing it for 35 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky