Today's Smoke - Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great! As far as rules, I’d say your cook, your rules! Really nice color on those! Glad they exceeded your expectations, it’s alway nice when something turns out better than planned! I’ve got a notebook that I document all my cooks in(trick I learned here)and then I tweek things till they’re exactly what I want and it makes for very consistent cooks. Before that my cooks were kinda hit or miss. Now my PP is spot on every time!

Reactions: txflyguy
Awesome is about the only comment I haven't seen here so awesome looking butts is what I say. As long as you and your friends enjoyed it there are no rules it just personal preference. Most of us don't like the same taste or flavor in a lot of things and beer is one of them as well as BBQ sauce. Great looking only sorry I wasn't there for one of them sammies.:(

Warren

Reactions: txflyguy
We did not trim any fat prior to smoking. After the 9 hour smoke, and 3 hours in the oven, and the pulling of the meat, it was put back in the fridge overnight. The next day we did a second pull to get the chunks into smaller pieces. It was at this time that we went thru it and removed all of the fat that we could find.

Here is a down and dirty recipe for "homemade BBQ sauce". Get a large bottle of Bull's Eye, and pour into a mixing bowl. Add a generous amount of honey, plus a fair amount of red wine vinegar. Mix well. You will be surprised at how good it is! Our guests liked it better than any of our other "off the shelf" sauces.

Those look wicked, prune juice is something I never would have thought of using but looks and sounds like it worked out. Just another reminder for me to try things out of the comfort zone sometimes. Great stuff thanks for the ideas.

That is a great looking pulled pork. I have never done one in a brine, Now I am convinced I have to try one. That is a thing of beauty.... Thats a LIKE!!! COngrats on the carousel ride.

Thanks again to everyone for the positive comments! This was my 2nd attempt at smoking a pork shoulder. The first time it was just OK, and not nearly as tender as what we wanted. I think the brine for 14 hours, plus the extended cooking time (12 hours) is what made this so tender, and moist.

I was shocked at how easily the meat pulled apart. It was so tender that it almost pulled itself, just falling in chunks like a huge glacier that is calving icebergs!

My good friend came over for sandwiches. He raved over it, telling me that I need to open a BBQ Restaurant. Fat chance of that happening!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky