Tocino Spam

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
I like Spam, and especially "tocino" Spam. (I like Filipino tocino too) I haven't been able to find it in forever, so, when I saw a YouTube recipe I thought I'd give it a go.

I did adjust the recipe a little, as I wanted it cured, for flavor and color.

I didn't take any pictures at the beginning, because I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I should have, because it's delicious! Next time I'm going to cut the salt back just a little. Here's the recipe, as I made it.

1) lbs ground Duroc pork
1/2) pound minced ham
3) tablespoons sugar
1) teaspoon salt
2) tablespoons cornstarch
1) tablespoon Morton's Tender Quick
1/2 cup water
1) packet "Mama Sita's Tocino Seasoning"

I mixed everything in a bowl. The mix seemed very wet, but after several minutes of mixing/squishing it firmed up a bit. I put the mix into the fridge for a few hours to cure. Then I packed it into a glass container and vacuum chamber sealed it.

I sous vide'd it at 155°F for 90 minutes. Then I pulled it out of the water bath, put it on the counter, and put some pie weights on top. Once it cooled for a bit I put it into the fridge overnight.

Then I started taking pictures!

Here is the final product. It turned out great. Like I said, next time I'm going to eliminate the salt, as I think the Tender Quick and seasoning mix have enough on their own.

20220913_042642-picsay.jpg
20220913_042825-picsay.jpg
20220913_042833-picsay.jpg
20220913_043134-picsay.jpg
20220913_044441-picsay.jpg
Screenshot_20220910-142705_Chrome-picsay.jpg

It looks to me like your TQ usage is pretty close.
I'm seeing 1 1/2 pounds of meat, and you added 1 TBS of TQ.
I would say 1 1/2 lbs of meat calls for 2 1/4 tsp of TQ.
And I would eliminate the extra teaspoon of salt.
Hope this helps.

Bear

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky