Tips and Methods for WSM 18.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvachewlover

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Richmond, Va
I've been smoking out of my MES 30 for a couple years now, however, it has left me wanting. Something about tending a pit of charcoal and wood versus plugging in a mini-fridge. So I broke down and bought a WSM 18.5 that comes in at the end of the week.

Now let me say, I have next to no experience with charcoal. My dad would grill on a Weber Kettle when we went to my grandparent's river house but that's about it. I was more interested in fishing and eating then the cooking aspect.

So now I plea, what're your tips, tricks, and methods on the WSM? What's the best charcoal? How much charcoal? How long will the charcoal last? To burry the wood chunks or rest on top? Is the manufactures analog therm accurate/best therm to install? This is by no means an exhaustive list.

Thank you in advance to a great community that I was lucky to find!

Welcome! WSMs are fun for sure. most of the tutorials that will cover the mjority of your questions are here

Its a great site for WSM only. I used it for years to know how to use mine.

First congratulations! Pulled a lot of great que off my wsm over the years I had it. There is a metric ton of info and threads on them in the charcoal smoker section and since there is more than one way to smoke a cat it’s definitely worth a look. That said, here’s how I set mine up.
1) with the bottom vents wide open, light half chimney of briquettes and place it in the coal grate. Replace the middle section and top cooking grate.
2) place 1-2 small splits on the cooking grate to preheat while the coals light up.
D3535B62-7352-47BE-8B5A-85814AA9D138.jpeg

3) once your coals are fully lit, remove the middle section and chimney. Fill the charcoal ring with unlit briquettes and dump the lit coals on top. Place the preheated splits on top of the lit coals and let them ignite. Let them burn for about five minutes and then install the middle section, water pan, and cooking grates.
D2EB4F7A-DCE6-4953-8095-D6EF0CE1A193.jpeg

for 225-250 fill the the pan with hot water. For 325-350 leave it dry.
4) leave top and bottom vents wide open until you start to approach your target temp and then adjust your bottom vents to achieve your desired temp. Once you’re at temp and the smoke is thin and blue. Add the meat.
Note: with this method I usually had tbs almost immediately. And I could usually count on 12-14 hrs on a full load.

I guess your SOL if you want to smoke anything in 251* to 324* range LOL.
that funny bahhaa

I never used the water bowl filled with water. waste of time. i just foiled and used it to catch drippings.

I guess your SOL if you want to smoke anything in 251* to 324* range LOL.

Chris
Not at all! But that was my preferred range for most of what I smoked and a consistent way of getting there. Like I said there’s more than one way to skin a pork shoulder. This way was just my preference for excellent, consistent results.

Not at all! But that was my preferred range for most of what I smoked and a consistent way of getting there. Like I said there’s more than one way to skin a pork shoulder. This way was just my preference for excellent, consistent results.

Thanks lancep, that's really helpful! I've been reading the site that sandyut recommended pretty heavily. Does anyone trust the manufactures temp gauge or have you bought another and go through the opening on the side?

Thanks lancep, that's really helpful! I've been reading the site that sandyut recommended pretty heavily. Does anyone trust the manufactures temp gauge or have you bought another and go through the opening on the side?
I just used the stock. Not out of trust but just as a guideline. Mine was pretty close and my cooks were consistent so I never felt like I needed to spend any extra money on gadgets. I would get a good instant read first. I wouldn’t get caught up on exact temps and, instead, focus on a consistent temp range. I haven’t seen a piece of meat yet that requires an exact temp to cook properly.

I just used the stock. Not out of trust but just as a guideline. Mine was pretty close and my cooks were consistent so I never felt like I needed to spend any extra money on gadgets. I would get a good instant read first. I wouldn’t get caught up on exact temps and, instead, focus on a consistent temp range. I haven’t seen a piece of meat yet that requires an exact temp to cook properly.

That makes sense, all part of the art I suppose. Is there a ratio you've found of opening and closing the vents and increase/decrease in temp? Say 1/4 inch for 25 degrees. I'm sure it's not fool-proof but a rough estimate

ave you bought another and go through the opening on the side?
this buy a digital and run it through the side. My OEM one was 50 degrees off and they replaced it, the replacement was slightly better but equally worthless.

this buy a digital and run it through the side. My OEM one was 50 degrees off and they replaced it, the replacement was slightly better but equally worthless.

So I'll be firing up the WSM tomorrow for a couple of pork butts.

I have two questions. I'll be using the minion method with a chimney. I plan on lighting the chimney and leaving it to rest on the fire grate, then when almost up to gray coals on top surrounding the pit with unlit coals. I was wondering if starting the chimney on the grate will heat it up to much and cause the unlit coals to light prematurely.

I was also wondering after the chimney is dumped; where to put it. I have a wood deck so that's a no go. Cynder block? Will it still be to hot? Fill the water pan up with cold water and touch it for a few seconds (I think dumping it in there would probably warp the chimney right?) I also thought about using the grill grates but not sure if they can stand the temp either. I also have some ceramic bathroom tiles that are left over from the house being built. Would those crack/explode do you think?

Cinder block, a couple bricks, ceramic tile should be fine. I’d pull it and then fill the charcoal ring. If needed you could put it on the cooking grate in the middle section while you fill the ring. I’ve used the lower cook grate and coal grate for grilling many times. It will be fine. I’d say put the chimney there to cool but once you dump your lit coals, you want to start assembling your other sections to bring the smoker up to temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky