Time for a new SNP soon...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
I have the old style SNP given to me about 10 to 12 years ago as a fathers day gift by my kids. I am thinking it may be time for a new one next season. I have had good success using the SNP and have gotten used to it's operating quirks. I have never used any other style smoker before and I feel sticking to the same operating system will be better than learning all the quirks of something different.
The only drawback to the SNP is there is no removable ash pan in the fire box. So for long smokes when the ash builds up to the coal grate it cuts off the air flow to the bottom of your coals and makes it difficult to keep a good set of coals going. So at times I wind up letting them die way down so I can pull the grate out and shovel out the ash. Basically having to start a fire all over again to continue cooking.

So my question is is there something similar to the snp that has a removeable ash pan feature or has anyone modified a existing snp for this?
Also is the snp shown on the Brinkman web site for $379.00 the same one you see in Wal Mart for about $179.00?
Here is the one on the Brinkman web site.
http://www.brinkmann.net/shop/Detail...2101-W&id=2807

Hey 3,

I just PM'd you a description of my firebasket mod to solve the exact problem you face. It's got several pics. Also, this particular design of mine is being used successfully by not only myself, but TasunkaWitko and Fire It Up. You can PM them for their feelings on the basket.

Good luck to you, and you are right in that once you learn the SnP it's a great one that's hard to give up!

I don't think so. The Wal-mart SnP is very thin walled.

If I were you I'd just mod the fire basket and make yourself an ash rake and keep your old heavy one.

If you lived closer, I'd trade my newer Walmart one for your old heavy one in a heartbeat..
icon_mrgreen.gif

Dave

ddave has a point - i love my SnP and prefer it to anything in its price range, but they do have the one issue which is temperature control.

having said that, there are ways to deal with this such as manifolds, tuning plates, bricks in the bottom of the smoking chamber etc. one thing i do is fold three very heavy blankets on top and draping down the back of the SnP. i also (thanks to a suggestion from RIVET) ahve a chimney extension going down into the SnP smoking chamber to grate level. these "mods" help a lot, but if you already have a thick-walled SnP, you're pretty far ahead of the game and might consider doing a refurbishing and restoration job!

Wow!! Thanks for the firebasket mod description that just what the doctor ordered! I like that baffle too.
Unfortunately I doubt that there is a fab shop within a hundred miles of me that would manufacture something like this. Pretty small town here. I would most likely have to go to Mpls. to find one and I would guess that they would want big bucks to do a one off on something like this.
Great job on your mods Rivet that is like a SNP on steroids
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

until you are able to get a firebasket, there is an alternative.

when i first bought my SnP, i didn't pay too much attention to the cooking instructions, so i kept building my firs on the UPPER level, which was actually supposed to be for grilling meat, if desired. by doing this, i inadvertantly created a similar effect to rivet's firebasket. his basket is the best choice, but making your fires on the upper level (rather than getting choked out on the lower level) is a fair substitute.

I also cooked on a SNP for 10+ years. I finally replaced it this past spring. I went with a Char-griller for 2 reasons. One was the ash drawer that you mentioned. The other was cast iron cooking grates. An added benefit I found with the CG is the main chamber charcoal tray can be flipped over & works great as a baffle to eliminate the hot spot next to the SFB opening. I have also found I use a lot less charcoal with the CG than I did with the SNP. I really enjoyed cooking on my SNP, but I really do like the extra features I have on my CG better.

The normal cost of the CG Smokin Pro plus the SFB is around $200 at Lowes. From time to time Lowes has had the SP by itself for $99.

I just purchased a SNP. I'm trying to work on the mods...if anyone has any specs on the firebox and/or baffle I would greatly appreciate the details. I have a sheet metal guy that can cut my metal, I just need to get him the specs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky