Throwdowns??????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I entered a few when I first joined up, but I’m not in the same league as some of these guys. And as Robert said, I don’t mind losing, but I don’t want to embarrass myself either. I can cook, but the creativity, and skill to make a great presentation are not in my wheelhouse.
Al
I am the same Al, Hell 70% of what I cook is a derivative of what I see here. I consider myself creatively challenged, but if the right contest presented itself I might throw my hat in the ring.

I say continue the contests, if for nothing else but some ideas for the rest of us to use.

I know it is hard as most people are working and close to the Holidays so I understand.

I like the throwdowns and have entered before .
They used to be every month way before I was here . I don't know what the turnout was than though.

As some are saying that gravy should not be in a throwdown for a smoking site.
Gravy is just a part of your cook, as long as you have a smoked product in your entry

What about a smoked meat loaf with gravy on it , or when it was for cheese that just had to be part of the entry not full on smoked cheese.
I have posted smoked mashed potato balls with gravy in the middle when you cut open.

This is just for fun guys , and bmudd14474 bmudd14474 Brian is working hard at doing this for our entertainment and on his own time.

This is a smoking site and I try to post at least 90% of m stuff is always smoked in one way or another. Still have not figured out how to smoke my jams or my pickles, lol
But even my desserts I post are smoked. Just saying

I will stop now, as I just thought this was for fun

David

It's not JUST a smoking site anymore lol. I think people need to grasp that a little better. If people don't wanna do it just have it every 4 months or every 6 months. If they still don't wanna participate stop having it.

It's pretty simple no need to over pander to people. I see 0 issues with how it's run or judged. Yes sometimes better photos win sometimes better ideas win. It's a public vote so opinion it 60% of the vote lol. I suck too but not like I couldn't at least submit an entry a few times since I take shots of some foods anyway. That's on me not on the site or who's putting together the event. Just my opinion...

As for making the entry written description only then showing pic after win lol. O.o .... I guess the English majors will win a majority of those contests, eh? lol.

all I have to say.jpg

Reactions: boykjo and cutplug
I know it is hard as most people are working and close to the Holidays so I understand.

I like the throwdowns and have entered before .
They used to be every month way before I was here . I don't know what the turnout was than though.

As some are saying that gravy should not be in a throwdown for a smoking site.
Gravy is just a part of your cook, as long as you have a smoked product in your entry

What about a smoked meat loaf with gravy on it , or when it was for cheese that just had to be part of the entry not full on smoked cheese.
I have posted smoked mashed potato balls with gravy in the middle when you cut open.

This is just for fun guys , and bmudd14474 bmudd14474 Brian is working hard at doing this for our entertainment and on his own time.

This is a smoking site and I try to post at least 90% of m stuff is always smoked in one way or another. Still have not figured out how to smoke my jams or my pickles, lol
But even my desserts I post are smoked. Just saying

I will stop now, as I just thought this was for fun

David
Smoked bacon jam?

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I love the throw downs. I haven’t done the last few as life has been pitching knuckle balls for a few months. I see a lot of folks seem to not participate because they feel their presentations aren’t as good as others. One quick suggestion would have to be two winners per Throwdown and for one of the do not make plating a component of the scoring. I think thst might encourage a lot more participation.

Reactions: negolien
Smoked bacon jam?

yes you are right , have not tried that yet, but on my list. :emoji_sunglasses: 🤠

David

Oh yes smoked bacon jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a bucket list!

Over a smash burger, on scrambled eggs & toast, or over a pork smash burger like this.....
smoked bacon jam.jpeg

That said, I have participated in them and will continue to do so, sometimes life happens, but it helps me think outside the box!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I like the throwdowns, not sure I've entered one (CRS) but I love to see the creativity people come up with. Bad thing was too nice of weather here for too long...too many projects to get done before it really gets cold.
But I do thank Brian for putting these on...I appreciate it! And someone is gonna get some nice prizes as well!

Ryan

I'm not as "imaginative" as many here and it seem the most outrageous entries usually win.
I generally place my vote on the dish I'd like to eat most based on the ingredients and preparation. The visual aspect is secondary to me.

I’ll say when I first joined that throwdowns and overall posts by some of the long time members are why my plating and pics have improved. I was in awe of the entries and posts. Mine were just not there. For me that was a challenge I took on. I’m happy I did as realistically people eat with their eyes first. It’s really amped up the experience of food I serve family and friends. Im appreciative of this site driving that for me.

I’m happy I did as realistically people eat with their eyes first.
Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I don't. You can make a dish as pretty as you please, but I'd rather have a lumped up mess of something I actually want to eat as opposed to a pretty presentation of something I don't. These pretty plates on the cooking channels don't impress me in the least. The high end restaurant industry has pushed this notion, but nobody I know of plates this way at home. We all just plop what we want on our plates and enjoy it immensely, plated however it lands on the plate.

Last edited:
bmudd14474 bmudd14474 another idea - Add a third prize that is awarded based on a blind drawing. Neither the public vote or judges vote winner can win it. I’d add I’m sure there are some folks who would donate things for prizes

I haven’t entered one but mostly thats a time thing. I do like them. I think the last couple themes have been a bit tricky, maybe dial it back a bit to the nuts and bolts of the site and participation will increase. And who cares if it was already done a couple years ago.

Let me say that for the theme if there’s not a “mostly smoked” or grilled or cooked over an open flame something you’re not getting my vote. If you didn’t make it yourself - the sausage theme comes to mind - you’re not getting my vote.

Just my 2cents

I’ll say when I first joined that throwdowns and overall posts by some of the long time members are why my plating and pics have improved. I was in awe of the entries and posts. Mine were just not there. For me that was a challenge I took on. I’m happy I did as realistically people eat with their eyes first. It’s really amped up the experience of food I serve family and friends. Im appreciative of this site driving that for me.

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I don't. You can make a dish as pretty as you please, but I'd rather have a lumped up mess of something I actually want to eat as opposed to a pretty presentation of something I don't. These pretty plates on the cooking channels don't impress me in the least.
Ok I can’t resist but both these perspectives can be true……. I mean this is just box Mac with cracked black pepper on a plate… tasty and eye candy!!! ….. this has to bring back childhood memories……
359D4C89-6032-43B6-B95C-2C22D70455BE.jpeg

Ok I can’t resist but both these perspectives can be true……. I mean this is just box Mac with cracked black pepper on a plate… tasty and eye candy!!! ….. this has to bring back childhood memories……
View attachment 650692
Works for me, but it still plated in a simple way, like most of us would do on a normal basis. The little stripes of some sauce or other on the plate, with a smallish piece of meat placed on it, and some greenery scattered out ...... that's where I'm coming from. Maybe it adds to the visual effects for some diners, but I see it for what it is ........ someone trying to sell me a less than filling meal and the plating is somehow supposed to fill me up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky