Throat opening and chimney opening

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BeppeSamm

Original poster
Apr 5, 2022
Hi, I'm from Malta and am designing an offset smoker (NOT reverse flow) and have most of the dimensions finalised other than the (i) opening from the cook chamber to the firebox, and (ii) opening from the cook chamber to the collector / smoke stack.

I plan on building an 120 gallon tank style smoker with the following dimensions:

Cook chamber: 71 inches length, 22.25 inches diameter
Firebox (semi-insulated at the bottom): 29.75 inches length, 22.75 inches height and 20.25 inches width
Smock stack (excluding collector): 50 inches height and 6.75 inches diameter
Collector: 11 inches length, 6.75 inches height.

I planned on placing the firebox slightly below grate level with the collector being at grate level. I'm attaching a photo of what I want to achieve.

Can someone please help regarding: (i) dimensions and placing of the opening from cook chamber to the firebox, and (ii) dimensions and placing of the opening from the cook chamber to the collector / smoke stack?

Attachments

• Smoker prototype.JPG
    Smoker prototype.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 84
The calculations are the same for a reverse flow..
They will make you a great smoker...

Reactions: bigfurmn
The calculations are the same for a reverse flow..
They will make you a great smoker...

Thanks daveomak daveomak - just to confirm that the calculator you provided in the above link also applies to a standard offset smoker and not only to a reverse flow offset smoker?

I have another question: my grease drain is on the left hand side of the smoker. Does it make sense to produce the legs of the left hand side of the smoker slightly smaller when compared to the legs on the right hand side of the smoker (e.g. 24 3/4 inches left vs. 25 inches right) in order for the grease to move towards the grease drain? If so, is 1/4 inch too much / too little? Should the gap be larger / smaller?

Or would the above increase the chances of having a grease fire, in which case it is better to leave both sides equal and the cook chamber flat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky