Thoughts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iceman6409

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Rochester, NY
Hello all. I just ventured into my first off set smoker adventure. Long story short I did a rack of baby back ribs I got at Walmart. Mustard, McCormicks rub. Btw this is all about me trying to figure processes out and such so don't kill me on rub choices and such. Anyways I let the ribs sit at room temp for a few hours, covered of course. Got them on the smoker. Using Apple wood. So temperatures were a little up at first 250-275. I got temp down to below 250 and threw them on. Adding wood I see temperatures go up and based on what you do with the smoker and such. So all in all temperatures were up for awhile and down for awhile and right at 225 for awhile. Took an IT reading at the 1"30 mark and they were already at about 165. Threw some souce on quick and one last piece of wood which barely lasted maybe 40 minutes but put out a lot of some. Last piece never got to 200. So I pulled her off at about 2:15 hours with an IT of about 180ish. Does this seem quick to you folks? I would love some feedback in general. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_163529917.jpg
    IMG_20200525_163529917.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: negolien
#1 did you have another tested thermometer to verify actual temps?
It may have been running a bit warmer than anticipated. Lot of people that wrap do it roughly 165°and that's is usually close to the 3 hr mark.
#2 I think most take their ribs up and above 200°, not necessarily temp wise but when probe tender. I usually do, we don't like the fall of the bone but close. I choose not to wrap (PITA) in my opinion, and haven't noticed a lot of difference when have done it..
I have a lot of room for improvement on ribs, but getting respectable.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Seems fast never had em done sooner than 4 hours. I go to 193 myself. 200 to dry for me. How were they? Interior cut shots help. End results is what matters keep a journal. Journals really help with consistency. Write down amount of fuel used temps times etc etc

How much did the rack weigh?

If that was a real baby back at 1-3/4 lb or less that time/temp combo is probably not far off since you temped them at 180°F. I prefer to probe test or bend test for final decision but a true 180° would probably result in about 3hrs total to finish for my liking.

For a heavier loin back the time is short.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky