This is going to be a difficult one.... need help buying new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

allstar898

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Houston Texas
Back story. Bought the best stick burner I could afford at the time (600$ from home depot) it's a leaky bitch that being on a second floor pipe railed patio fluctuates enough for me to be drunk before a pork loin is ready. My q has always turned out great thanks to a lot of recipes from you guys but my firebox bottom has fallen out and I'm tired of not being able to do pork butts and briskets often. I made one 12 hour cook work it was amazing but I'd rather have been doing anything else for the 12 hours, the grill needs constant attention and fuel/air change every 10 min.

Now I'm looking for new less matinence options. At first I was thinking much nicer offset but even that will be hard for overnight cooks which led me to this section.

I rarely grill but would like the option for chicken breast on a bed of onions but honestly could buy a Weber for that. Steaks are best in cast iron imo.

Finances... I have been doing crazy research as many of you guys do and it's been a rabbit hole. I started off with trager and started looking at memphis. I have never tried a pellet but want the set it and forget lifestyle. I dont know if I should buy the baby rec tec to try it out, or take the plunge with a big daddy Memphis. I can afford under 2k but could also make mak or memphis work but am thinking mostly comfortable in the pitts and spitts (local to me), rec, yoder, pg500. I have watched countless videos been on tons of forums but I've only ever posted here so need some input. I could very much see this becoming an obsession for me that could go competition route so take that into consideration.

Thanks guys

Highly considering just buy the cheap rec tec model to see what it's like but will greatly hamper my ability to buy a legit one for a few months since I have the ml only saved up.

Like you I have been a stick smoker for years, also a newbie to pellet smokers. I got to where I was only using the stick smoker on occasions that I "felt" like attending the cook all day, which became less and less.

Just my 2 cents. Purchased the lower priced Pit Boss tailgater at Walmart just to see if I would enjoy pellet smoking and possibly take in the motor homes as it is designed for that. If I didn't, it's a give away with not much lost. So far, it's kind of good. The Pit Boss temperature swings have been a leaning curve, but working out to where it is almost a set it a forget it except for the hopper size. The Pit Boss is a well made grill, but if I had it do do over again it would be a larger hopper that could do a brisket with one refill and a gill that I did not have to learn the "P" settings that could change with the outside temperatures. A wifi or Bluetooth temperature probes are a must. Pit Boss needs some work on their temperature controllers to be a "set it and forget it" grill. Upgrading to one of the upper grills may suit your needs better.

Silly questions, but need to make sure.

Your apartment complex has no issues with you having a fire source on the balcony obviously. Do you have a outdoor plug on patio? Have you checked voltage to make sure it is strong enough for longer runs? You can always put a weatherproof cover over it.

I don’t have a pellet smoker, but understand that winds have been know to blow flames out. Do the ones your looking at relight themselves? Or time out and clog with pellets?

Purchased the lower priced Pit Boss tailgater at Walmart just to see if I would enjoy pellet smoking and possibly take in the motor homes as it is designed for that. If I didn't, it's a give away with not much lost. So far, it's kind of good. The Pit Boss temperature swings have been a leaning curve, but working out to where it is almost a set it a forget it except for the hopper size. The Pit Boss is a well made grill, but if I had it do do over again it would be a larger hopper that could do a brisket with one refill and a gill that I did not have to learn the "P" settings that could change with the outside temperatures. A wifi or Bluetooth temperature probes are a must. Pit Boss needs some work on their temperature controllers to be a "set it and forget it" grill.
I bought a cheapo Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 that didn't get the best reviews. It was on such a sale, I couldn't resist - figured I'd find out it I liked pellet grills before dropping the coin on a GMG or RecTec or Yoder or...

I really liked it, and about 9 months into owning it - the temperature controller went tits up. Knob spun freely, and couldn't turn it off without unplugging it. And of course, Mojack (who makes the grill) didn't respond to repeated requests for warranty claims. So, I did some research, and bought a Pellet Pro controller. Replacing it was easy - and now? I absolutely love the Pitmaster Q3. Temp swings of 5-7 degrees at the most, and it works every time I start it up.

So, if your complaints are with the temp swings/controller - a Pellet Pro (or similar) upgrade is easy to do and well worth it.

I don’t have a pellet smoker, but understand that winds have been know to blow flames out. Do the ones your looking at relight themselves? Or time out and clog with pellets?
I don't know which models do - but I've never had my flames blown out by winds, and I live off the Chesapeake Bay and get winds frequently.

If it was me, and I had your budget - I'd probably pick a Rec-Tec. PID controller, large hopper, huge cooking area. And I hear their customer service is top notch.

I just went through all the agonizing research to add a pellet grill to my setup. I ended up getting the Traeger Timberline 1300 and I absolutely love it. I was in your same position, as far as getting something cheap too see if I liked it but I did that with my Kamado, bought an Akorn too see if I liked it and then got Kamado Joe Big Joe because I loved it. I decide not to do that with the pellet and I am glad I went with the 1300. Traeger has all the bugs worked out from the first models and mine has performed flawlessly. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get into a pellet grill.

If you really want set it and forget it, go with an electric smoker: Smokin-It is the best bang for the buck.
I put my pork butt in the smoker at 10 pm, add some wood, turn temp knob to 225, shut the door and pull butt about 12-14 hours later when temp probe says meat is 190 deg.

That sounds exactly what a Pellet Grill does and Pellet Grills are Electric... To the OP, if you’re in no rush, keep reading and do your research. There’s a learning curve with all Pellet Grills, so always follow the owners manual instructions of the Grill you choose. I’ll say this, my Pit Boss Austin XL with 1000sq inches of cooking space, you’re able to do direct grilling and real wood smoking. The most bang for your buck $500.00 is worth taking a good look at.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
If your thinking possible competition in future Rec Rec 700 with PID would be a very good choice. Excellent reviews/warranty etc.

I am a fan of pellet grills for a few reasons. I tried the traeger before the timberline came out, researched a bunch, decided to go with GMG but once the prices were converted to Canadian it gave me a second thought, Then I stumbled onto a sale on the Pit-boss. I now have 2 of them, 1 for work and 1 for home. I wanted the ability to sear meat if i wanted to as well as smoke for extended periods. In most cases they are fill the hopper and set the control and then throw back a few cold pops while waiting. The sear option and price was a point for me. So you need to figure out what you want it for, the room you have and zoning by the sounds of things. Check out reviews and customer service reviews as well. Good luck and let us know how you end up.

I am a fan of pellet grills for a few reasons. I tried the traeger before the timberline came out, researched a bunch, decided to go with GMG but once the prices were converted to Canadian it gave me a second thought, Then I stumbled onto a sale on the Pit-boss. I now have 2 of them, 1 for work and 1 for home. I wanted the ability to sear meat if i wanted to as well as smoke for extended periods. In most cases they are fill the hopper and set the control and then throw back a few cold pops while waiting. The sear option and price was a point for me. So you need to figure out what you want it for, the room you have and zoning by the sounds of things. Check out reviews and customer service reviews as well. Good luck and let us know how you end up.

I’m glad your experience has been a good one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky