Thermometers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave11

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Spring Hill,Fla
I have had very bad luck with thermometers lately.through no ones fault but my own. Please take warning!!! If you are installing a new thermometer,please take the time to get the proper size wrench to install it! DO NOT TRY TO SCREW IT IN BY HAND! This does not work!!!(lol) (The following is the mans prayer) "Im a man ,I can change, If I have to,I guess."Well,Its time for me to change. If you try to install a new thermometer by hand, the face plate will turn, and the neddle will stay put, and render your thermometer useless.Go get a wrench dummy! You have a whole box full!!
Just another little tip from your Uncle Dave

Dave, not to worry. The dial face spinning is how that type of thermometer is calibrated. Go ahead and install it with a wrench, then when you fire up the pit, use another therm to determine the temp near the new therm. Then just rotate the dial face to indicate that temp.

Lots of folks then use a wrench to posistion the therm so the desired pit temp is at 12 o'clock posistion so it's easy to see at a glance if you're high or low of target temp.

Wow! lol Thats a lot of fun! The task you suggest is more easly said than done! I have lots of thermometers! Oven, infrared,candy,oil, meat, and even the one Jeff suggest, the Taylor! Im not busting your balls, but I've just spent 4 hrs dropping a meat thermometer down the smoke stack of my smoker,and trying to adjust the gauge. I've had to many adult beverages,and droped one gauge,and broke the glass. LOL. Looks like its back to Wallmart for TWO more gauges I have 3 smokers. and have broke all but one thermometer! LOL. I will tell you this much...that 3-2-1 gimmick is the best way to cook ribs! I bow to the 3-2-1 god! My ribs have allways been very greasy,and too tender. The 321 put me right in the zone! Thanks to whoever is responseable for that! I do not trust thermometers. I have several, and all read a differant temp,some have a 15 degree variance! This,IMO,can be very crucial to the way we like to smoke meat. I would like to keep things to a science,as far as temps and time go. One thing I have noticed on this board, is that we must pay attention as to who is posting what,and where.Since we all live in different altitudes,cooking times may vary,and so will temps. My smoker seems to work best at 240- 250. However, im in central Fla.
Just another tip from your Uncle Dave!

Hey Dave,get you a good size glass of crushed ice or even ice cubes.Fill it with water and let it sit for bout 10 minutes.Stick your thermoter in and let it sit for a while till it dont move anymore.Turn the dial to 32 deg and you have a perfectly calibrated piece of equipment.I recalibrate mine often,believe me it works.

The Ice is a good idea! Never thought of that one! The only one i thought of is the boil water trick. Water at 212.set thermometer, you know the rest.But Im thinking there has to be a better idea. We just havent thought of it yet.

Dac,The lowest temp on my thermometer is 150. So 32 degress aint gonna help!lol.(but I did the ice thing) (me and my dumb ass)

Hey. your from west virginia,my dad was raised im Mingo County about 80 years ago.Hes long gone,but every time i think of WV, I think of him.Iv been to black water falls when i was a kid (about 9 ) sure was nice then!

The Ice is a good idea! Never thought of that one! The only one i thought of is the boil water trick. Water at 212.set thermometer, you know the rest.But Im thinking there has to be a better idea. We just havent thought of it yet.
If one was to clean the end of the shaft and take your own temperature, would this not work? The normal body temperature for humans being 98.6 degrees. I only say to clean the end beore sticking it under your tongue because although the unit is new, who knows what could be on it. Just a thought....maybe you think I'm crazy.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky