Thermometer "Ports"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
I'm considering drilling some holes in my mini-WSM and maybe even my Weber 22.5 OTG to allow me to insert the smoker temp probe and the meat temp probe for my Maverick instead of closing the lid over them. I know this has been done by some folks here, but I cannot find the threads that discuss doing so.

Could someone with better search fu than me please guide me?

TIA

I know there is a high tech way to do it with insulation etc., but how about a hole just large enough to get the probe in? Smoke loss would be minimal. Don't over think it.

Weber now sells a silicone port insert that will seal around the probe wires.  It is part number "85037 - Grommet, gray, SMC" is is reported to be less than $12 shipped from Weber.  Another option is a home made probe inlet from threaded brass electrical tube (like they use in lamps and in ceiling boxes).  Cut a short length and add two nuts and washers and then make a hole in the WSM/mini-WSM.  I would link to instructions elsewhere on the web with photos, but we can't do that anymore.

I just cut a slot in the top edge for the probe cable to ride in so the lid doesn't pinch it. I've done it in the mini, kettle, and WSM.

I thought about that, but it doesn't solve the problem of the probe leads being so short. On my Mav ET 73 the transmitter dangles in the air and will not sit on the table beside the kettle.

Maybe I am just over thinking it.

Take a look at the link below my signature line - it is an eyelet mod I came up with for my WSM, costs under $5, you can fit up to 3 probes through each eyelet, and you can place them wherever you want.

I just drilled holes big enough for the probes to slide through. I can put up to three probes through each hole. I put the actual gauges on a small tv dinner tray next to my WSM. Works great. I didn't do any grommets or bushings. Little to know smoke comes out, temps are consistent, and the food is delicious. Mods took me 2 minutes. Good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky