The Ultimate Chili Recipe - for posterity's sake.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
This is what real chili is supposed to be, in my self-anointed expert, New Yourk / Yankee, never-wrong opinion...

Ingredients (things you could bring with you on a cattle drive, in a chuck wagon…)

NO TOMATOES of any kind.

6 strips good quality thick bacon (Better Than Good brand is the best there is from a store - yes, I am an expert)

A slew of fresh garlic, crushed and NOT chopped

1 medium yellow (NOT white) onion diced

4 lbs boneless chuck roast cut into 1/2”cubes (including the fat you can remove/skim when finished)

6 tablespoons real chile powder http://www.janebutelcooking.com/Public/PecosValleySpiceCo/Chile-Spices/index.cfm hot or mild (NEVER use any commercial chili powder) I use all hot and add jalapenos and its warm but not silly-hot – perfect.

1 teaspoon fresh ground Mexican oregano https://www.janebutelcooking.com/PecosValleySpiceCo/Herbs-Spices/

1 teaspoon fresh ground cumin https://www.janebutelcooking.com/PecosValleySpiceCo/Herbs-Spices/ (I receive no compensation whatsoever from PVSC - they just have the best chile powder and spices there is)

4 Jalapeno peppers diced no seeds and/or stems

In a perfectly seasoned cast iron Dutch oven -

Cook bacon over low heat until just crisp but not crumbling. Leave all bacon fat in pan (you can skim when finished if you are that kind of person...); eat the bacon while you are cooking or add to chili the last 30-miniutes

Slow brown garlic in bacon fat, then turn up the heat and add onions and cook until onions are translucent. Remove garlic and onions from pan and reserve.

Full heat brown the cubed boneless chuck a little at a time - well-browned - you want to caramelize the sugars in the meat/fat and help color the final product.

Once all the chuck is browned add the garlic, onions, spices, and boiling water to cover. Bring back to boil then lower heat and simmer 4-hours+ until cubes of chuck fall apart (like pulled pork – I use a mashed potato smasher to help the process but it should all look like shredded beef) you can remove any pieces of fat you find at this time.

Add diced jalapenos, and simmer another hour. Also, add hot water as needed as you go (final consistency is your choice but it isn't supposed to be soup).

Now, in spite of the old wives tales, if you’ve followed these instructions perfectly, you will not let it cool and refrigerate overnight, but you will eat the flat out best bowl of chili you ever tasted – simple as the recipe and simple as that.

NEVER put beans in your chili, however it is acceptable to serve chili OVER properly-cooked pinto beans, perhaps with some diced yellow onion and/or high-quality sharp cheddar.

My favorite is to cook separately, some Lundberg Wild Blend rice, and half-fill a huge bowl with rice and smother it with the chili and I am in food heaven.

Trust me on the spices, quantity, and source – the best there is.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds good. I would add that you need to serve all chili with a thick slice of buttered cornbread cooked in a cast iron pan.
Thank you, sir! I agree with you but my problem is that once I get started eating the stuff I get tunnel-vision and the cornbread goes bad! :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds tasty. I like going back a step further and making my own chili base from dried peppers. Usually some combo of guajillo, ancho and arbol, seeded, toasted and then simmered in some broth before blending them.

The spellings are unique to different geographic locations. Chili (plural chilies or chilis) is the standard American English name for the hot pepper as well as the spicy stew, condiment, and spice in which it is a prominent ingredient. On the other hand, in British English, chilli (plural chillies or chillis) is typically used. The spelling chile is of Spanish origin and is common in southwestern areas of the U.S. where that language is frequently used.

Surprisingly, there's not much fiery debate about the origins and use of these spellings. An early record of the name of the pungent pepper is in a 16th-century dictionary of Nahuatl (a language of the Aztecs) in which it is transcribed as chilli (to make clear, the word is unrelated to the chili-pepper-shaped country of Chile). This word was adopted and modified by Spanish-speaking Mexicans as chile, and in the 17th century, it appears in English in the various forms chille, chile, and chilli. The anglicized spelling variant chili is attested later and, although predominant in modern American English, it does appear in 19th-century British writing.

PS. I do not eat human flesh!

:emoji_sunglasses:

Anyways - the CHILI recipe is really awesome, no matter how you want to spell it! :emoji_grinning:

Last edited:
As Eddie (Christmas Vacation) would say, "Naawww...." For the first bowl; no beans, no rice, no cheese, just the goods! Second night, go for it; I like home-cut fries, chili and cheese!

Thanks for the recipe!

Rick

Reactions: Retired Spook
I used to think I liked chili with tomatoes until I found this recipe AND the New Mexico ground chile, and no way I will ever go back to chili with tomatoes. It's an excellent recipe - I was hooked from the first spoonful.

One of my favorite ways to enjoy this chili is with a bag of Santita's corn tortilla chips (I know commercial chips are blasphemy but they are good!). Dip a mound of chili on a chip and eat and maaaan is that good!

This is what real chili is supposed to be, in my self-anointed expert, New Yourk / Yankee, never-wrong opinion...

<Snip recipe. See above>
This recipe would do a Texan proud, even if it does come from New York! :emoji_sunglasses: It's very important in Texas to not have any tomatoes or beans in your chili.
Sounds tasty. I like going back a step further and making my own chili base from dried peppers. Usually some combo of guajillo, ancho and arbol, seeded, toasted and then simmered in some broth before blending them.
Here in North Texas we can get an amazing variety of dried peppers at the local supermercado. I can usually get about 7 different varieties. Dried peppers impart very complex and delicious flavor profile when reconstituted this way. The resulting chili is often rolled up in a corn tortilla with some raw onion and cheese as garnish, but most of the time I just eat it in a big bowl. It's getting cooler down here, so it's getting close to time to making a batch!

This recipe would do a Texan proud, even if it does come from New York! :emoji_sunglasses: It's very important in Texas to not have any tomatoes or beans in your chili.

Here in North Texas we can get an amazing variety of dried peppers at the local supermercado. I can usually get about 7 different varieties. Dried peppers impart very complex and delicious flavor profile when reconstituted this way. The resulting chili is often rolled up in a corn tortilla with some raw onion and cheese as garnish, but most of the time I just eat it in a big bowl. It's getting cooler down here, so it's getting close to time to making a batch!
I live in a small rural Ohio town that has 3 massive commercial vegetable farms. Over the years many of the workers have stayed here and there is always a much higher population in th summer. We have a legit groceria with an amazing selection of chiles and other authentic goodies. I LOVE Mexican food

Chili isn't Mexican food it is actually prison food that was perfected by trail cooks that worked for Texas cattle companies on cattle drives to Kansas area rail heads. Chuck wagon cooks had to work with what they could bring with them and what they could find along the way.

• Haha
Reactions: chilerelleno
So wrong! 3/8 dice on the meat is clearly superior;) I use on sale steak vs chuck. Funny thing about chili, you can hide a bunch of veggies in it and the grands don’t know. Processed cauli, white shrooms or even Kale just get absorbed and don’t change the flavor profile. The wife asked me to try it one time, and I was like, this isn’t bad. Black beans are a side and I will only judge a little if you add them.

Or it sucks and a lifetime of coffee, allergies and hot sauce has fried the taste buds ;)

The “eat the bacon” absolutely priceless!

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky