The Spinner Learning Curve

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
About a month back the rotisserie / pizza setup for my 22" weber arrived at my door, I was fairly pumped to get it going. My first effort was going to be Cornish game hens using the baskets with some hickory chunks seasoned up with Yardbird rub.
View attachment 631131

I thought the cook would take a couple of hours, was I ever wrong about that, pulled after one hour, set them over the sink and was pondering tossing them, looked like they were cooked in a forge
View attachment 631132

Much to my surprise they were juicy and delicious, just ugly, and presentation counts. For cook #2 I thought I'd shake things up by going with the SnS and hickory on a whole yardbird, seasoned up like the first one
View attachment 631133

I was getting closer tho still not quite what I was looking for
View attachment 631134

Once again the looks were deceiving, plated up with some slaw and beans, juicy and a darned fine dinner.
View attachment 631135

I was about to retire the whole setup up to the shed but took the advice of my good buds @chopsaw, SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , and @tx smoker, keep at it! Cook #3 was back to game hens, this time using the charcoal chain method with hickory. I like hickory! Seasoned up with Yardbird like before
View attachment 631143

After 90 minutes gave the hens a coating of honey-apricot sauce, looking like more of what I had in mind
View attachment 631140

Pulled for a rest on the counter
View attachment 631141

Plated up with a cauliflower mash and some zukes, M-O-N-E-Y!
View attachment 631142

Now that I'd seen the light it was time to go on to bigger game. Same snake setup on the Weber.
View attachment 631144

Leg-o-lamb roast, S & CBP
View attachment 631145

Pulled at 132º, pretty happy!
View attachment 631146

Plated up with a mash, spargees, and applesauce, I've got this dialed now!
View attachment 631147

It took a little time and a few cooks to get things where I wanted, now I'm loving that spinner, one of the best tools in the box! A winner never quits and a quitter never wins. That's it for this time, thanks for lookin' in and y'all say safe out there! RAY
spinning is the way to go with yardbird. shame i'm to bass-ackwards to properly truss a bird.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Sorry Ray! Late response! Really cool thread, it was awesome seeing the progress and you really got it dialed in. I was just debating on marinating a whole bird, this may be a nudge I needed to get that 22 attachment! Locked in cook with amazing results and a tutorial as a bonus! Points for sure!
Thanks Jed! After almost retiring the spinner I'm now absolutely in love with it. Yardbird is a great start to see what's going to work and what might not, third time was the charm for me. The combo of smoke and spinning is pretty tough to beat, now I have the confidence to spin a little prime rib roast. It would be great to have a thermometer that worked to give the IT of the meat, especially on something like a prime roast. I had a Meater, didn't work at all. To get a wireless remote that actually works isn't really cost effective for as often as it would be used, some serious bucks. Thanks for the Like Jed, much appreciated! RAY
spinning is the way to go with yardbird. shame i'm to bass-ackwards to properly truss a bird.
Wrapping the wings is a piece of cake, tying the legs is where things get tricky. Let the skewer hold the legs from flopping around, that's what they're for. RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
A winner never quits and a quitter never wins.
Those are some very true words, Ray.
I'm glad you stuck with it and found that the minion method works for you as proved by the hens and leg o' lamb.
Nailed it!

I don't think Ace will have have that Smoky Peach Whiskey Sauce in stock again. Guess I'll need to order it online.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky