The Independence Hunter Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I’ve been busy at work and in the shop and so thought I would share some of the fun shop work……with the addition of the coal iron press (just LOVE it) to the shop I wanted to do a special build for this years annual Idaho Highway Districts rural Idaho engineering scholarship fund auction.

For a refresher, this was lasts years build….it went for $275
6531490C-C1F7-4189-895B-C21A8D7296F3.jpeg

This years build is called the “Independence Hunter” here is a write up for the auction….

Independence Hunting Knife (Value $704.22): Hand crafted from a 13 layer damascus billet forge welded in eastern Idaho on Independence Day, July 4th, 2022 and completed on October 19th 2022 on the anniversary of the Battle of Yorktown where British General Lord Charles Cornwallis and his army surrendered to General George Washington's American force and French allies on October 19, 1781. Each damascus layer of the blade represents one of the original 13 Colonies and the three star pins in the stabilized American walnut handle, each represent a Branch of Government created by the United States Constitution. The sheath is made from American hardwood (walnut skin with a hickory core).

C8744F4A-F225-4BE9-BD2C-8EFA1ADF5EBC.jpeg

78AC0E73-A085-4973-928D-4CD04749D810.jpeg

5D15B09A-23AC-4246-AF52-7C746C71855E.jpeg

0C594791-A823-4A78-87FF-9FE51E64C21B.jpeg

3A7528AD-C30C-44B0-B347-4A9EED79BFF2.jpeg

0298F1E2-8B85-4B34-81A5-63109279A9D9.jpeg

Edit:
Here is the sheath…I just have a few more coats of tru oil and then screw on the snap and strap, you can see the embedded post screw.
3BE56DD2-62AE-47C6-9BD2-3EC72BFBA0B9.jpeg

I’m pretty happy with how this project came out and hope it will make the future owner happy!

Last edited:
She's a beauty Civil.

Point for sure
Chris

Beyond beautiful and impressive.
Somebody is going to get one hell of a nice knife!
Thanks CP! Most of the bidders are HD commissioners all from rural Idaho so lots of friendly completion so hope so!
That is fantastic and such a nice looking knife. Love the story for the build

David
Thanks David! Last head knife was someone that lives next to Buck Knives in mother Idaho.
Incredible piece of work, the blade of a lifetime! RAY
Thanks RAY! The billet was large enough for 2 knifes and my son called dibs on the blank…. But this is a one of a kind
looks excellent!! great job and thanks for sharing this!!
Many thanks tbern!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Man that is a beaut of a knife!
Jim
Thanks Jim!
Awesome work ! Love the wooden sheath .
Thanks Chop! I normally do Kydex sheaths but that didn’t seem to fit this project, but I’m going to do more wooden ones in the future for sure!
She's a beauty Civil.

Point for sure
Chris
Many thanks Chris! I had high hopes at the start on it and am very happy!
Beautiful Damascus. Nice work bud
Thanks Jake! Something about smashing steel at 2200 degrees that brings a smile on one’s face…..

Reactions: TNJAKE
Wow! Congrats! That’s some amazing craftsmanship, I’m so glad that it was recognized and your effort/skill too!

That's just plain beautiful! Very talented for sure! Bet you are loving that press...it shows.

Ryan

Wow! Congrats! That’s some amazing craftsmanship, I’m so glad that it was recognized and your effort/skill too!
Many thanks Jed! I’m just happy it can help out a future engineering student, it was also a very fun build!
That's just plain beautiful! Very talented for sure! Bet you are loving that press...it shows.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, it’s a nice recharge from doing invoices, accounts, planning, scheduling, and staff management…… yes I need something fun to do. Oh and yes the new press is AWESOME!!!
nice job, congrats on a beautiful looking knife!!
Thanks therm! Like I said I’m really happy!

The funny thing is the winner hovered and spied on it from a distance, but wouldn’t touch it…..he said after he only touched things he knows he can have….his wife was already making plans for which grand kid was going to get it…..

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky