The bird.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davidhef88

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 24, 2011
Rochester, NY
Got the gasser fired up at 9:45 to get the sand pan up to temp. It's a balmy 37 degrees here today so I wanted to make sure she was hot. Got my carrots, celery, and garlic into a foil pan for some of JJ's smoked gravy. Got the 18 lb. bird prepped and into the 280* smoker at my target time of 10:30. I gave it a coating of butter and a dusting of Tony Chachers creole seasoning. Riding along nice at 284 degrees. Happy thanksgiving everyone!!

Last edited:
Daqvidhef88 - I'm confused.

First , I see the turkey in the smoker.

But then, I see you holding the thermometer with the un plucked turkey in background.

???

Also, I like to see your butt flap hanging open.

We did one recently, and I tucked the tail under the drumstick legs.

Mistake.

Did not render out enough.

Maybe put a 4" square piece of foil under it, I dunno, I would.   Marc

Daqvidhef88 - I'm confused.

First , I see the turkey in the smoker.

But then, I see you holding the thermometer with the un plucked turkey in background.

???

Also, I like to see your butt flap hanging open.

We did one recently, and I tucked the tail under the drumstick legs.

Mistake.

Did not render out enough.

Maybe put a 4" square piece of foil under it, I dunno, I would.   Marc

That unplucked turkey never leaves my lap. I've done many turkeys over the years and have always put them right on the grate. Never thought to put foil under it, not sure it would change anything.

Very nice David!  point! B
Thanks B. It was great, brought it to the in laws, everyone loved it. Will probably have to do it every year. I volunteered to bring it. The turkey here is usually terrible. Doing a 21 pounder on Sunday for my side of the family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky