The Best Butt I've Smoked Yet!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oink

Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
So I have smoked quite a few boston butts and I just hosted a party this weekend and all of the pork was gone in no time! I took a bit of a gamble because I used Killer Hogs method and I never used it before. I did everything per their directions except I toned down the salt and sugar a bit for the injection. EXCEPT I used Famous Dave's Rib Rub. I was very hesitant in using this stuff because it is VERY commercialized and includes smoke flavor but I was pressed for time and needed something quick and read some pretty good reviews on it. Now it was not necessarily a problem but it was a 10 pounder smoked in 6 1/2 hours keeping the heat between 200 and 250 degrees using an offset smoker the whole time (I did have the meat a bit closer to the fire box) but I smoked an 8 pounder before the same way which took longer. Anybody know exactly why? I know that every single piece of meat is different but this was the biggest, most tender, and moist butt that I have done in less time! I do know that the injection helped with the moisture and everyone was in love with it! But if I can get some insight on the significant amount of less time it took to smoke I would really appreciate it. THANKS! 

Last edited:
Hi Oink,

I think you answered the question yourself - every piece of meat is different!  Some butts have more internal fat/connective tissue than others, the density of the muscle varies, etc.  That's why this hobby (addiction) is so fun!  It's unpredictable enough to keep us on our toes!  I've smoked 8 lb butts that took 13 hours, and 10 lb butts that took 10!  Go figure!  I think a lot of it has to do with how long it takes to power-through the stall, but I don't know - just my thoughts.  I love that about Q!  "Cookie cutter" recipes and predictability are boring!

BTW - I've used Dave's Rib Rub for years, and absolutely love it on pork!  I like making my own rubs, and really like Jeff's, but my "go to" rub, when pressed for time, is Dave's!  Great on ribs, too (duh...hence the name, I guess).
icon_cool.gif

DivotMaker, thanks for your reply that really makes a lot of sense, I thought it had something to do with that but I didn't want to make an uneducated guess. That is why the info from you all here is great! And I love how you call it an ADDICTION because that is totally what it is! I like doing my own rubs too but I was very impressed with Famous Dave's. Happy Smokin!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky