The ASPCA or at least my local branch Sucks!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Still no word. Tried calling and leaving message but get no return call...JJ

Hey JJ. One of my friends was looking for a free/cheap black lab puppy. I went on kijiji and found him one that same day. Have you tried that?

Gary
Would they even ship to the states? Customs issues? Which province to look in?...JJ

We decided our first dog need a friend so we went looking, tried the local shelter, nope, nothing there, but onto Kijiji we went found this guy, for $20.00.  Seems the folks who had the mother, when they got the dog, were told it was fixed, and a couple of months later, along come the pups ( the Basset Hound was not pregnant when they got her)  They had no Idea who was the father of the pups but we brought him home sept 17th 2015

And this is the Original dog we had, Meisha, the one above is Marly

Last edited:
Beautiful Dogs. I am still looking and hopeful...JJ

Chef Jimmy,

I do hope you find a forever fur family friend! My wife and I are heavily involved with multiple agencies here on the west coast. We transport, and foster rescue dogs in our home until they are adopted. We have helped hundreds of dogs escape euthanasia. Most of them are from high-kill shelters from Califonia that are brought up to Oregon and Washington. Yes, its all volunteer, No ASPCA is involved. I would be glad to help you out if I could, but PA is just a bit of a reach! Nearly all of the rescues, adoptions, fostering transportation, etc. is all done through networking 99% on facebook based on personal relationships that have been established within the groups.

Bottom line- Find a GOOD rescue! You will surely find them, but some of them are not so good. You can tell a good rescue if the animal has been to a veterinarian, up to date on shots, spayed/neutered shots etc. But the most important thing you should look for in a rescue is if- (and how long) they vet their dogs. How long has the ANIMAL has been vetted in a foster home since they were rescued or pulled from a shelter. (Vetted- as in "screened for issues").There are many sound benefits for potential adopters for this, but this only adds costs and extra work so most don't do it, and so they turn them fast!
  • The true nature of the dog can be observed- gets along with other dogs, kids, cats, abandonment issues, separation anxiety etc. 
  • They could be carrying contagious illness or disease- The chances the dog has contracted kennel cough, parvo, or a myriad of other things while they were exposed in the shelter are relatively high.
  • Discovery of any medical issues- Vet bills are a HUGE cost to rescue, Duh! Wouldn't you rather know what you are getting yourself into or just take your chances?
  • Some training
In any case, it all should be a good "fit" for both the adopters as well as the dog. We see a lot of of failed placements nowdays... Not because of the dogs fault... but the people not being realistic with their expectations or not truthful in their applications, etc... You don't have to walk outside your own doorstep very far these days to recognize that people are more dangerous than the dogs.

I hope this sheds a little light... You will find your right buddy! Hang in there!

Thank you Browneyes'...I am sure, like in any operation, there are good and bad people and practices....JJ

Jimmy, what about a Greyhound rescue?
Nothing Local... I knew a retired, now deceased, Dauphin county ASPCA President, his wife was my Culinary Instructor, they had 2...JJ

Just so you know. Up here in Aroostook County I retired and wanted some pet cats to replace my beloved Kitty Kitty. Back in 2005 I got her for $55 (to cover the spaying and shots) She was a treasure. In March 2019 I went to the Houlton Animal Shelter and found two cats that were friends. When I started to make off with them - first I was told they would have to "check my references", Then when I got a little peeved at this bureacratic bull The head lady decided I was a "good risk" after she asked me how soon would want to finalized the adoption. I said ASAP. She said $350 please. I said fine, sure and they packed up the wrong two cats in cardboard traveling boxes and when we got home I hit the ceiling and call these clowns to tell them what I had papers for and what they gave me. The lady in charge assured me she would make it right. Sure enough 2 hours later they showed up with Timon and Otto and took back the other two unfortunates.

These little guys are males way dumber than Kitty Kitty but adorable nevertheless. Good hunters too. LOts of charm but a little slower that Kitty Kitty upstairs.

Beautiful Dogs. I am still looking and hopeful...JJ

I just stumbled on to this thread and am wondering if you ever found a dog ChefJimmy? I'm on the fifth dog of my adult life, the first four lasted 13 years apiece, a wolf-shepherd mix, two ESS, then a chocolate lab. I've never adopted, always found a pup to bring home at 7-8 weeks old, never been without a dog for more than a couple of weeks. From reading this it's no wonder that anyone would ever got a dog from the ASPCA, I'd never tolerate the interview. When our lab, the Boo, passed on a couple of years back the DW wanted to wait 4-5 months to get another dog due to a planned trip to Mexico. I lasted eight days, got online and found a breeder of English Springer Spaniels that had eight week old pups, loaded the Lance 850 onto the back of my truck and drove 700 miles to Idaho the next morning. I parked in the breeders driveway that afternoon, walked in and Bob picked me out in less than two minutes. The next morning we made the drive back to CA, Bob never made a peep. My wife Jan wasn't too happy with me for not wanting to wait, that all ended the minute I walked thru the door with Bob and let him out of his crate
DSCN0663.JPG
DSCN0675.JPG
DSCN0698.JPG

We cancelled the trip to Mexico, life's too short and a home without a dog is just a house. We don't have kids and our dogs have always been family. Bob will turn two years old Dec.12th, so happy I wouldn't wait the 4-5 months, Jan's happy too! Get a pup Jimmy, the love in your heart will find a great place to land, and be returned ten times over. RAY
DSCN0898.JPG

Reactions: jcam222
Just astonishing that they make it that hard to save a dog or cats life. Our local Humane Society’s in Ohio have a girl you fill out, show a license and pay about $55 total. I bought my brother a gorgeous chocolate Siamese cat a couple years ago there. My wife bought me a white Siamese off Craigslist as a Christmas gift a few years ago. I’ve seen quite a few rehoming ads for dogs on Craigslist. Some days I swear our puppies and cat are the only source of sanity. They bring us great joy. I hope you find yours soon.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Our last one came from some kids on the street corner with a cardboard box full of puppies. My daughter couldn't resist. Next thing she did was go down to PetsMart for supplies. Her "free" puppy ended up costing her a few hundred $$ after bedding, food, crate, and shots. (The puppy was a chewer, and destroyed the wire crate in no time at all. She wanted to always be with my daughter.)
The dog eventually moved out with her to her new house nearby. She had ears like radar dishes, which came in handy as my daughter can't hear high-pitched sounds, like smoke alarms. She had her for 9 great years.
IMG_3041.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky