Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
We found ourselves visiting my inlaws this Thanksgiving; for the past few years my wife and I have found ourselves traveling on Thanksgiving, and not home to cook. Since everyone appreciates the smoked meats I create, I was asked if I might be willing to smoke a turkey for the family meal.

I'll share a secret with you: I truly dislike turkey. Growing up, it was almost always overcooked, dry, and flavorless. I decided that I would take the task on, and give the family a great bird, even if I wasn't excited about it.

My wife bought an organic, heritage bird from a farm in Sonoma, and I spatchcocked and then brined it for 24 hours, and then air dried it for 24 hours prior to smoking.

Thanksgiving morning I moved the Yoder YS640S out, and got it warming up. I seasoned the outside of the bird, and I started smoking it at 275F, and smoked it for 2 hours. I then cranked the heat up to 350F, and basted it with melted butter that also had some of the rub mixed into it.

Once the breast hit 165F I pulled the bird off the smoker, wrapped it in pink paper, loaded it in a prewarmed cooler, and headed for the family dinner.

I must say, this bird turned out exceptionally good. It was moist, juicy, and smoky. The skin was nicely rendered, and I actually found myself eating it. The inlaws raved over it, saying it was the best turkey they've ever had. Being the humble person I am, this will be the only time I repeat their opinion about it....

thumbnail.jpeg

We found ourselves visiting my inlaws this Thanksgiving; for the past few years my wife and I have found ourselves traveling on Thanksgiving, and not home to cook. Since everyone appreciates the smoked meats I create, I was asked if I might be willing to smoke a turkey for the family meal.

I'll share a secret with you: I truly dislike turkey. Growing up, it was almost always overcooked, dry, and flavorless. I decided that I would take the task on, and give the family a great bird, even if I wasn't excited about it.

My wife bought an organic, heritage bird from a farm in Sonoma, and I spatchcocked and then brined it for 24 hours, and then air dried it for 24 hours prior to smoking.

Thanksgiving morning I moved the Yoder YS640S out, and got it warming up. I seasoned the outside of the bird, and I started smoking it at 275F, and smoked it for 2 hours. I then cranked the heat up to 350F, and basted it with melted butter that also had some of the rub mixed into it.

Once the breast hit 165F I pulled the bird off the smoker, wrapped it in pink paper, loaded it in a prewarmed cooler, and headed for the family dinner.

I must say, this bird turned out exceptionally good. It was moist, juicy, and smoky. The skin was nicely rendered, and I actually found myself eating it. The inlaws raved over it, saying it was the best turkey they've ever had. Being the humble person I am, this will be the only time I repeat their opinion about it....

View attachment 413356

Congrats on the success and welcome to the world of great turkey!
In my opinion you gotta brine a whole turkey, whole chicken, turkey breast, or chicken breast. Also you gotta gook it a high enough smoker temp to get the skin to edible and behave.

You my friend did both things and look what happened... best turkey ever. Keep it up! :)

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky