Thai peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
Though this not a smoked thing, it is a interesting pepper. The peppers grow up right vs down as other peppers. Now my plant has taken a beating from the cold weather and leaves are now more yellow, they used to be a bright green.
Off this one plant got around 30 peppers. They are bright red when ready. The peppers have a nice snap to them but for me at least not excessively hot. Plan on planting more come spring.
See how they pickle or make a salsa.
Kit

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 36
Don't believe I've had those before. And since I love pickling things. I am waiting to hear your feedback on that.

Reactions: kit s
The term "mirasol" refers to any variety of peppers whose pods grow erect. Those are usually thin-walled and they dry well. They also pickle well.

The heat level varies from one type to another but generally it's a quick and bright heat.

Reactions: Fueling Around
The term "mirasol" refers to any variety of peppers whose pods grow erect. Those are usually thin-walled and they dry well. They also pickle well.

The heat level varies from one type to another but generally it's a quick and bright heat.
Didn't know that or that there were others that also grew this way...thank for info.

When you plant in the spring look in to self watering buckets. Mix up 50/50 potting soil and peat moss then a small handful of bone meal per 5 gallon bucket. Mix all together and fill your self watering bucket with the mixture.

The bone meal will slowly beak down over the year and give the plant the calcium it need to produce strong heathy plants and fruits with blossom end rot.

I also suggest using miracle grow one week and then mist the plant with a solution of 1 tbls Epsom salt per gallon of water the next week. So every week the plant is getting fed. The magnesium and other minerals in the Epsom salt really helps the foliage green up and sets the buds the miracle grow feeds the plant. If you don't like miracle grow you can also use fish emulsion.

I used self watering buckets last summer for my Carolina Reapers and they worked extremely well. I only needed to water about every 7 days and it is impossible to over water. At the end of this season I uprooted all the plants cleaned off the root bundles to recapture and loose soil in a kiddy pool and mixed in a bag of potting soil and 1/2 bag or peat and bone mean. Rebuilt the buckets and set them in the shed where all I have to do next spring is wallow out a hole for the new seedling water it in and dose with Miracle grow.
Thanks for info will look to see if we have those critters around here any place.

Sorry very late to the thread.

I grow 3 varieties of Thai and 2 varieties of Korean every other year.
I dry them and they last for 2 years.
I don't like them pickled. It ruins the fruity flavors for me.

Though this not a smoked thing, it is a interesting pepper. The peppers grow up right vs down as other peppers. Now my plant has taken a beating from the cold weather and leaves are now more yellow, they used to be a bright green.
Off this one plant got around 30 peppers. They are bright red when ready. The peppers have a nice snap to them but for me at least not excessively hot. Plan on planting more come spring.
See how they pickle or make a salsa.
Kit
I sometimes add them to salsa, but not usually as the main pepper. I like em pickled and fermented. I always have a bag in my freezer and some dried ones handy.

Cut back on the water usually to the point of near stress to increase flavor.
20191009_192304.jpg

Most of the Thai Chiles are way too hot for my Palate. I can take some Heat but I'm more into the flavor. If these are not Stupid Hot, is there a specific name your seed company uses? Or, anyone have spare seeds for 4 to 6 plants? Thanks...JJ

I just bought the plant local store. Surprised me they had some. Should have bought a couple but not sure if they were going to grow ok.
Hoping I can get some seeds from the last few I have. Not crazy hot but do have a snap. There are a few vendors out there who sell these seeds. sure a goggle search would furnish.
I would offer some of my seeds but not sure how they will be after I wait for pepper to dry and try to get seeds out of pod. I they seem ok will let you know. No guarantees though.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I don't have my notes handy, but I seem to recall about a 3-4% sea salt brine and add a few cloves of garlic.

I also add a little of a prior brine if available. Usually add about a teaspoon of sugar per pint too. It ferments out to alcohol and the microbes present in my cultures and on the peppers convert the ethanol to vinegar (natural tartness).

I just bought the plant local store. Surprised me they had some. Should have bought a couple but not sure if they were going to grow ok.
Hoping I can get some seeds from the last few I have. Not crazy hot but do have a snap. There are a few vendors out there who sell these seeds. sure a goggle search would furnish.
I would offer some of my seeds but not sure how they will be after I wait for pepper to dry and try to get seeds out of pod. I they seem ok will let you know. No guarantees though.
kit You don't have to let the pepper dry to get the seeds.take a ripe one cut remove the seeds to a plastic plate or piece of plastic wrap.Let them dry a week or 2 then put them in an envelope.
Just finished seeding 2 of the Philippine Peppers they are like the Thai Birds Eye Pepper
100_0499.JPG
Seeds from just 2 of them
100_0505.JPG
Richie

Reactions: kit s
Birds Eye are flavorful but TOO Hot for this old man...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky