Texas Twisted Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TripleLindy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 1, 2022
DFW area
We had a gorgeous 86° day yesterday, with our son and DIL over to celebrate my son’s new job. Our DIL is pregnant and has been craving a chicken cook that I had pieced together using a couple of different recipes. It’s flattened chicken breasts, seasoned with SPG, wrapped around 1/2 jalapeño that is seeded and stuffed with cream cheese, and then wrap the breasts in bacon. Instead of using toothpicks to hold them together, I have a pan that holds 8 breasts snugged up against each other so that they hold their shape. Top each breast with butter and cook at 325° until they hit about 150°. I used a small piece of pecan to add a little smoke flavor. The butter will melt and the bacon will render and the pan holds that juicy goodness and helps ensure that the breast remains moist and tender. Once at 150°, I pull the breasts and dust them with R Butts R Smoking Cherry Habanero rub. Back on the grill on a rack, no longer in the pan, and cook about 8 minutes to tack up the rub. While the rub is tacking up, I heated up SBR Sweet and Spicy BBQ sauce in a sauce pan to thin it out a little. Pull the breasts, give them a good coat of sauce, then back on the grill to tack up the sauce. Breasts should easily be at 165° by then. Mine actually got to the low 170s, but the bacon and butter give you a little more wiggle room, as it’s pretty hard to dry them out.

Served with glazed carrots and basmati rice. Washed down with El Mayor margaritas!

1678632458419.jpeg

1678632514931.jpeg

1678632559596.jpeg

1678632668848.jpeg

Looks great. I'm gonna have to give this a go when Mother Nature decides to play nice with us northerners

Point for sure
Chris

Very nice! I may try this with chicken thighs
I personally prefer thighs, but the rest of my family prefers breasts, so I defer. I’m pretty sure one of the original recipes I pulled this from used thighs. Malcom Reed, I think.

Reactions: jcam222
They look great! And I look about 2 or 3 years pregnant at least so I should qualify for some lol!

Ryan

Reactions: TripleLindy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky