Test Turkey a huuuuuuge success!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vxooxv

Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Got me a 15lb from Hillshire Farms... frozen @ .29 a lb.

2 day refrigerator thaw.

15hr brine in Fire & Flavor’s Apple Sage brine kit on amazon

image.jpg

Dry patted, and let sit back in fridge over night. NO injection... actually forgot.

Stuffed it full of apple, lime and lemon slices. Rubbed down with Weber’s Beer can chicken seasoning rub found at any grocery store.
image.jpg

49948DE6-3A6D-4066-BCDA-F215F0A1514A.jpeg

Preheated smoker to 230.

Smoked in my MES30 at 230 using Apple/Cherry wood mix until internal temp reached 160. Which ironically only took 5 hrs. I thought it was going to take longer. My ThermPro doesn’t lie. :)

1509E0C3-1E6B-439E-8422-8190A66F29E0.jpeg

Friends and family LOVED it.

AF76F41A-936C-463B-A8FC-E54650E46BA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm and bigsyd
Congrats on the first success! Also if you brine you won't want to also inject more salt into the bird. Usually do one or the other, both is a salt bomb.
I'm sure you ran into leathery skin. If you want edible skin go to 325F on your smoker and that should do the trick, just realize that the turkey will cook faster :)

Best of luck on the real deal!

Congrats on the first success! Also if you brine you won't want to also inject more salt into the bird. Usually do one or the other, both is a salt bomb.
I'm sure you ran into leathery skin. If you want edible skin go to 325F on your smoker and that should do the trick, just realize that the turkey will cook faster :)

It'll cook faster but will it be as tender? I'm going to smoke mine at 275 - 300F range. I'm thinking about finishing mine under the broiler or bumping it up towards the end of the cook to about 325F.

What do you think?

Oh yeah it will be tender :)
I haven't had an issue with my turkey and turkey breast trials and I take it to 160-165F in the breast.
Oven roasted turkeys are done at higher temps and are tender as well so there is nothing to fear :)

I think you have a great idea with pulling and putting in the oven but know that it isn't as simple as just put it in there for 5-10 minutes and done.
I have tried a number of chicken trials from smoker to oven to try and get edible skin with no success. I didn't broil for more than 10 minutes though. With my failed chicken trials in mind I would probably take your idea and pull the turkey when the breast is at 140F and then finish in a hot oven to an IT of 160-165F.

The grey area here is, what oven temp is hot enough? and is 140F low enough to provide enough time in a hot oven to get edible or crispy skin without really overshooting 160-165F IT of the breast?
I don't have definite info for that on you. I would suggest trying a few chickens with this method to get a good idea of what will/won't work well :)

Let me know if this info helps :)

I have a 15 pound turkey I bought 2 days ago and it seems to be taking forever to thaw!

In full disclosure I let it sit out a day in the kitchen (enough to remove the innards and such) and then in the fridge a day.

Reactions: bigsyd

My skin was a bit leathery, so we didn't eat it - though we could. I'm going to deep fry a turkey too so we'll have some skin to munch on. Since I was cooking in my MES30 i can't get the temp that high.

My skin was a bit leathery, so we didn't eat it - though we could. I'm going to deep fry a turkey too so we'll have some skin to munch on. Since I was cooking in my MES30 i can't get the temp that high.

I hear you about the temp limit's of the MES. If you spatchcock the turkey, remove the water pan and lay the turkey skin down on the bottom rack at 275F in the MES then you might, maybe, possibly, get some edible skin. I have never tried it so it so someone else will have to try it and report back. I would recommend testing with a whole chicken :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky