Test driving the Ooni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Pizza is my favorite food group but I never made them before. I bought a Ooni Karu 12 Multi-fuel and my son and daughter in law test drove it. Store bought dough and sauce but pizza didn’t suck. Room for improvement but not bad for the first time ever using one. Started with coal and cooked with oak wood. Kindling cracker came in handy for that.
178EB7FB-6E90-40DC-AA5D-89F324447A36.jpeg
49060420-F128-4B90-B2B0-46DAEE328C59.jpeg
2F405F85-EC7D-4548-B973-6CC4063B3469.jpeg
4AB68808-A678-44D6-8D3F-BD5A3BD4A3C0.jpeg
44B7A3DB-12D5-4EC3-8E9B-AD88E4860F96.jpeg
F5B29A8C-31FC-4A41-B1A9-567A088E12AA.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm looking into picking up one of these for this weekend, they are on sale :). I had a GMG smoker last year with the pizza attachment and the pizza was awesome. Not good enough to keep the grill, but everyone loved the flavor it gave the pizza.

I assume you used the wood burning option. Is there any smoke flavor from the wood to the pizza? Have you tried the propane attachment? I wonder if one can have some wood smoke like a pellet tube to get a small amount of smoke flavor and use the propane to be sure the pizza is sufficiently cooked.

I'm looking into picking up one of these for this weekend, they are on sale :). I had a GMG smoker last year with the pizza attachment and the pizza was awesome. Not good enough to keep the grill, but everyone loved the flavor it gave the pizza.

I assume you used the wood burning option. Is there any smoke flavor from the wood to the pizza? Have you tried the propane attachment? I wonder if one can have some wood smoke like a pellet tube to get a small amount of smoke flavor and use the propane to be sure the pizza is sufficiently cooked.
This was the first time it has been used and yes oak fired. No smoke taste was noticed. Idk about the pellet tube.

The wife and I have toyed with the idea of getting one...it sure looks like it is fun to use. Your first try looks pretty good to me.

How long was the warm up?
and
How long was the pizza in the oven?

Good looking pizza.
Pizza's get very little smoke ,if any, as they are not in there very long.
If you want to up your game. get a mixer, and a couple scales (if you don't already have them).
Then you can make you own dough.

Last edited:
Wow, I am impressed!! Those are some impressive pizzas for "first try" efforts. They all look great but I gotta have me some meats so the pepperoni for me please sir :emoji_wink: I struggled with pizzas for years until just recently. The Prepared Pantry has some fantastic pizza dough recipes that are super simple to make and are game changers. Also, if you can find whole milk mozzarella that too makes a big, big difference. For the sauce I use a simple recipe with San Marzano tomatoes, a little salt, some mined garlic, and black pepper. Season to taste and add crushed red pepper to it if you'd like. I started doing that recently at the request of Tracy, but I love the red peppers too so no big deal. All of these things are very easy and make a HUGE difference in the quality. With that oven, you'll be cranking out world class pies in nothing flat.

Robert

The wife and I have toyed with the idea of getting one...it sure looks like it is fun to use. Your first try looks pretty good to me.

How long was the warm up?
and
How long was the pizza in the oven?
Well the unit was just out of the box. Don’t laugh. Let it burn for a couple hrs. The first pizza was burnt AF on top 😆 no pic. Wasn’t cooked in center either. Assessed , let fire die down. Took about 4 min per pizza once the temp came down. Just added wood as needed. Propane is probably a lot easier to control temp. So since it was Initial burn off I can’t give answer to how long it would take to warm up.

How long it takes to "warm up" depends how much heat, and on the type and thickness of the stone.
Best way to see if temp is where you want it , is to use an IR temp gun to check temp of the stone.

Reactions: flatbroke
How long it takes to "warm up" depends how much heat, and on the type and thickness of the stone.
Best way to see if temp is where you want it , is to use an IR temp gun to check temp of the stone.
About 15 minutes with pellets. You want around 900 degrees on the stone. Then launch. Then I'll close the damper a touch to get more smoke on the pizza.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky