Temperature Measurements

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oplein

Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I have a mini-offset smoker, and the thermometer on the top has about a 3" stem. A thermometer placed on the grill surface reads about 25-30 degrees higher than the top thermometer. Should I adjust my temperature to walmartone allow for this difference? When a temperature is specified (such as 250 degrees) where is this temperature to be measured? On the grill surface, or from the themometer located on the smoker lid?

Last edited:
agreed. My WSM lid thermometer was horribly off, I dont truth those ever. Get a good air probe that you can clip the the grate next to the meat. I use the Thermoworks DOT with their air probe.

I am sure there are bluetooth versions out there as well. I have had these for years and they are rock solid. But do require feet and eyes bahaha.

Oh yes! Welcome to the site!!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Welcome to SMF, you found the right spot! Thermometers that come with BBQ smokers are notorious for being inaccurate. I use a ThermoPro TP20 with dual probes and a remote. As you can see in the picture, clip one probe right onto the grill next to the meat, the other into whatever meat you're smoking. The remote will allow you to watch TV or do other stuff while still being able to monitor your fire. There's usually at least a 30º difference between the dial thermometer on my offset and what the probe next to the meat reads. RAY
DSCN1438.JPG

Reactions: OldSmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky