Temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajun_1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 16, 2006
Idaho
I know this question is rather vague, (there are many different types of sausage). But is there a basic temp for smoking?
Thanks.

Cajun_1, With two types of smoking (cold smoking & hot smoking) you have two totally different methods of curing the meat.

Cold Smoking requires the use of a brine containing water, some kind of sugar, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, other chemicals and the amount used is based upon the poundage of meat used. The meat is injected with the brine solution and the meat is allowed to soak in the brine solution from 3-5 days. Cold smoking is typically done below 100 degrees. Between the smoke and the salts in the brine the meat becomes cured.

Hot Smoking can also use a brine solution containing sugars, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite and the meat is smoked between 200-250 degrees. The meat is smoked but not cured.

Hope this gives you the answer your looking for. If I confused you further, I apologise.

Thanks Dutch, no confusion. Your answer is very informative(as usual, wish I had 1/2 your knowledge). Less than 100*, I'll have to work on that one. Again Thanks.

A lot of different sausage are help by smoking at 150 for the first couple of hours and then move the temp up 225 to 250. It makes a big difference in the texture. Starting out too hot cooks the fat out of the sausage too quickly.
Jim

Thanks Mr. Minion, I really want to get into this sausage hobby. 150 sounds easier than 100. I think I can achieve this temp in my Brinkmann vertical.

Cajun
There are sausage that cold smoking is the only choice. You would need to set up a cold smoker. We could discuss if you like?
Jim

I've done that. Suasage made with nitrite perservative(bought @ grocery store, mortons, i think)

Bought a cheap electric hot plate put it in the bottom of the smoker, put chips in an old pan and let er rip.

If your smoker has a water pan, I'd leave it out.

Cold smoking is basically drying process to add smoke color and flavor to product. Sausage like salami, pepperoni, cured bacon and some fresh sausage can benifit from the process. Cold smoking is done at temp under 110 degrees or can last up to 3 days in some cases. The correct chemistry is needed to insure safe product. Cures like Tender Quick, and prague powder would be needed to insure that you keep bacteria growth to a minimum.

Setting up a smoker is needed, you have a number of choices, using a couple of verticle smokers one for sausage the other to generate smoke that you can pipe into the first cooker. An old refrigerator can be used with a smoke generator. If you really get into it a smoke house can be added to your cooker collecton.

Len Poli has a web site and msg board that gets into techniques and formulations, great resource.
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/
Jim

Excellent link Jim!

BTW, are you the same Minion, or related to the same Minion as the Minion method of stacking unlit ccoal on top of a small fire for long slo unattended smokes?

Tell me more about your method. I saw it on a thread @ another forum, and only vaguely remember it.

Dickeydoobbq
The whole thing started with a new WSM at a contest. I used a firering full of unlit charcoal and poured about 20 lit coals over the top of the unlit coals. You use the bottom vents to control airflow and the speed that unlit coals get started. The hot coals being on top scrub the smoke of the unlit coals as the lite off keeping the smoke clean.

Here is a good link that describes it
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Jim

Once again, an excellent link! I'm beginning to view you as a valuable resource. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain from time to time.

And on that subject, tell me, why use a bullet smoker? I've owned 3 or 4, (never a WSM) and they just seem to be alot of trouble for something that doesn't hold a very big payload. I always found that they did real well for briskets and turkeys,and things like that, but had trouble w/ anything that wants a good bark. I always had a problem w/ wind w/ the old Cookin' Cajuns and similar units, Iguess that wouldn't be a problem w/ the WSM.

Is there something to these units that I'm missing? Fill me in.

In most cases a vertical smoker will not put on bark
like an offset will, offset moves much more air through the cooker.
When you compair cooking times unattended the WSM wins hands down. I have won 3 state championships cooking on them also.

To get more bark there are things you can do, run water pan using sand instead of water for heat sink.
You can also use wads of foil in place of water when you are going to do a higher temp cook.

Winds is a problem for most all vertical cookers but that can be offset with a wind break or wrap the cooker in a water heater blanket.

The main thing I get with a WSM is sleep on long over night cooks, you can get 6 hours or more hours in most of the time.
Jim

WOW :shock: three state titles :shock: . Wonder what the guys w/ their big comp. rigs thought about being beat out by a Weber. I guess that means the results are generated by skill and talent as opposed to expensive equipment.
wink.gif

I admire you guys that do the competitions. I have a philosophy about making work out of that which you enjoy doing for leisure which prevents me from joining in. Besides that, my wife has informed me that one more expensive hobby will make it to where I can no longer afford her. :lol: :lol:

Kudos on your achievements!

I also have wins on Klose trailer rigs and with ceramic cookers, they all cook different, but once you learn the pit it's about just working it.
Jim

I've tried the ceramic grills (are you talking about infrared ceramic?), And I'm not sure I like them. Or you talking about "Big Green Egg" type ceramics?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky