Temp Controller Fan Position

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KYC SMOKER

Original poster
May 29, 2020
I bought a new dynaglo Veritcal smokes, and I use bbqGuru fan systems. My question is, is there an issue whether the fan is at the coal level or below the coal level. I have some restriction and I want to know before I bore a hole in my new smoker.

Good question. I have the pit viper fan for my Big Green Eggs, and the adapter fits into the lower vent which is below the fire-bowl. However, on a WSM the adapter fits over an existing vent which is above the charcoal but there is a little baffle that directs the air down (and not across) the charcoal. Can you post a photo of your smoker with some painters tape where your options are for drilling?

Good question. I have the pit viper fan for my Big Green Eggs, and the adapter fits into the lower vent which is below the fire-bowl. However, on a WSM the adapter fits over an existing vent which is above the charcoal but there is a little baffle that directs the air down (and not across) the charcoal. Can you post a photo of your smoker with some painters tape where your options are for drilling?
Ended up drilling into the bottom of the vent wheel so it is under, we will see how it goes.

So the forced draft fan is blowing straight up? I'm thinking turbulence and ash blowing toward your food. My Pit Viper is 12- 15 years old and has a damper... does yours?

So the forced draft fan is blowing straight up? I'm thinking turbulence and ash blowing toward your food. My Pit Viper is 12- 15 years old and has a damper... does yours?
Yes is does not blowing up across under parallel to grate.

Ended up drilling into the bottom of the vent wheel so it is under, we will see how it goes.
How’s it working for you? I have a Dynaglo Vertical Offset (Wide Body) and have a similar concern to your original question. Should the fan be mounted on the side, blowing toward the cooking chamber, or on the front/back, blowing parallel to the cooking chamber?

How’s it working for you? I have a Dynaglo Vertical Offset (Wide Body) and have a similar concern to your original question. Should the fan be mounted on the side, blowing toward the cooking chamber, or on the front/back, blowing parallel to the cooking chamber?
Well It works fine but with the pit bull fan too much air and it blows ash into the smoke chamber, On your vertical wide body I would do front or back again the point of the fan is to add oxygen not blow heat over food the heat will draw in the smoke. Let know how you like the wide body having a little regret with my vertical as I got the signature and not the wide so have to cut ribs in half to fit them in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky