Team 275

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am on Team 275F now. Most of my books are 275F too, Franklin, Mixon, etc. I never eat off my smoker and for ribs, that means saucing and searing on the grill the next day or so. Done right, the bark should get even crunchier at places while other places the sauce is nice and gooey (tech term). Lots of people misunderstand Franklin and butcher paper. He is clear in his book. Only use paper when using PRIME brisket as he does, otherwise use foil. But you are spot on, he wraps AFTER the stall to keep preserve bark and nothing to do with retaining moisture etc. Main takeaways from Mix and Franklin is brisket grade is critical to success and from my continuous research into brisket that rings true here. Guys posting prime and wagyu are happy but anytime a poster does not mention grade (obvious mistake) it is a fail usually.
Occasionally I go to Costco with the Ms. and find myself scoping out the prime brisket packers at $3.00/lb. The trimmed prime flats were so great looking I had to take a pic to promise myself that would be the place I'll be getting brisket. The trimmed ones are too expensive but look great. Sam's choice packer is $5.00/lb. Or so and Kroger is a little higher in my area. Next time at Costco I believe a packer will be in the cart.
20170923_140432.jpg

Reactions: daricksta
NICE! You get it... Same about trimming. Franklin trims the heck outta his. There's like 3-4 pages of pics of his trimming. Book is must have for the brisket lover. I am a wannabe... LOL. Never had any brisket that rocked my world but that was the same about PP. After learning so much here, my PP insanely good and I am brutally critical of my cooking. I plan on taking one for the team and trying CAB from GFS around $3.50 last I saw. Probably will inject with phosphate but I am also considering injecting tallow or larding as they call it.

What did I miss? What's Team 275? A group of smokers who only smoke at 275°F?
Starting the first post I just put up two bullet points: set Mes to 275, no wrap. I see now it's too vague. It's an Mes term from a Masterbuilt electric smoker page on FB. No wrap was to imply not wrapping only tougher slabs/cuts that you ordinarily wrap and smoke only those cuts at 275 naked the whole time (ribs, butts, brisket.)

Reactions: daricksta
Right, that was in post #12 regarding meats that get tender over 190*. The Team 275 is for meat that gets tender above 190* IT so there's plenty of time in the smoke. As long as I set a temp that I know will give me the time for at least a row of pellet smoke onto the food before the pull IT. That's why I don't do reverse sear steaks much in the smoker unless it's a mini roast because by the time TBS starts enhancing the steak it's time to sear per IT. I would do the Thermoworks reverse sear recipe which is the lowest temp RS recipe I've seen at 160-170* till IT 100* or what you want then sear or simpler yet, I'll just cold smoke with the Amnts in the grill and have it finished in two hours. Yup, If it's not what you put in parenthesis, then I'm hot smoking somewhere in between 150*-250*.

Ooops---OK, I agree with Post #12.
Didn't see that one.

Bear

Kurt, I don't have the thing for my 22.5" Weber kettle grill like you do, but you've convinced me to give 275° a try with my next hot smoke. It's just that I've been so indoctrinated by all the smoking books I own that set the temps between 200-250°. I still keep the water bowl underneath the 4th rack on my MES 30 for both hot and cold smokes. When using the AMNS for cold smokes, Bear's suggestion to remove the drip pan so it would fit on the bottom worked!

So, we'll see if I become a member of Team 275 with my next hot smoke. Unfortunately my next smoke will be a low temp smoke for making my next batch of teriyaki beef jerky. After that I'll tackle bb ribs or a brisket and afterwards I'll report if I've joined the team.

dr k dr k , I found your first post. I'm going to test out 275, but I've been doing naked smokes for awhile now. I really don't think wraps are needed. That being said, if I go through with a brisket throwdown that my nephew has challenged me to I'm breaking out the butcher paper when the brisket hits the stall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky