T'Day Feast: Surf & Turf W / A Major Twist (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Tracy was in KC for Thanksgiving with her family. I was home with puppy duty. Being that she eats nothing in the way of seafood I typically indulge when she's gone. Since it was Thanksgiving, I wanted to treat myself to a really nice dinner. This one has been formulating in my deviant little mind since I did the pork loin crown roast a few weeks back. The final plan came together a few days beforehand but had to wait till she was gone to put the plan into action. Here's what I managed to put together for myself and one very spoiled Beagle:

Start with a sirloin filet
004.jpg

Here it is before I start to work on it
005.jpg

Cut the center out of it, put in a small bowl to help hold it's shape, and put some toothpicks in to keep it standing up. Bowl and toothpicks are only temporary. Can y'all figure out where this is going?
006.jpg

Onto the Rec Tec at 235 for a bit to get some smoke and firm up the steak so it'll stand on it's own
008.jpg

Got some fresh asparagus going. I also did up some small elbow macaroni, added some Velveeta cheese sauce, and broccoli. Somehow didn't get pics of that while in progress
010.jpg

The rest of the goodies: lobster tails and scallops
011.jpg

Tails out of the shell
012.jpg

I'm mixing the lobster and scallops together and lightly cooking them in two totally different flavor profiles. One is just a lot of butter & a bit of garlic, the other is a light tomato basil sauce. The butter & garlic will go into the steak as an appetizer, the tomato basil will be adorned with the steak as part of the entree

Butter & garlic
013.jpg

Tomato basil
016.jpg

Yep, you got it. This went back onto the Rec Tec to finish the steak and warm the seafood
014.jpg

Dinner done and ready to eat: scallops in front of the steak and lobster the rest of the way around. Asparagus with Parmesan cheese, and the pasta with cheese sauce and broccoli
018.jpg

Although it didn't come out as pretty as I'd hoped, it hit on every flavor profile I was looking for. Delicate flavors in the lobster and scallops to enhance the experience but still enjoy the full flavor of the seafood. The steak was perfectly cooked but not seasoned in any way....but it didn't need any additional flavors. Perfect exactly as it was. Of course the steak picked up some of the juices from the seafood stuffing, but that's what I hoped would happen. Overall I was very, very happy with this meal. Grand total, this probably weighed close to 2# and there was only a tiny bit of steak left. I was stuffed!! Next time Tracy goes out of town, I know what I'm cooking for dinner....again :emoji_wink: Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving with family, good friends, and good food.

See y'all on the next one,
Robert

Looking good robert! I've heard of thinking outside the box or in this case... inside the bowl

Ryan

That all looks amazing Robert! Props to you and that nice cook. Sounds like you had a peaceful and quiet thanksgiving with a great dinner! Hope you had some cold beers to accompany!

Looks absolutely delicious Robert!! I could go for that any day over turkey! That's the kind of bachelor meal I would enjoy.

We need to get you onto a ferris wheel instead of a carousel, lol

Like!

Reactions: Steve H
You have been creative lately Robert. Looks good.

Thank you Steve. The cool thing about this place is that you read something, think about a way to take it one step further, then it just continues to manifest itself into better and better meals. At least that's what I'm seeing....

That's my story an I'm sticking to it,
Robert

Looking good robert! I've heard of thinking outside the box or in this case... inside the bowl

That's an interesting way to look at it, thank you. Back in high school i spent way too much time thinking about what's in the bowl, but things have changed since then :emoji_wink:

Robert

Holy cow Robert!
Another fantastic meal!
Very nice!!

Thank you again Al. It sure feels good to get accolades like this from you as you've been an inspiration to me since Day 1 in the forum. Always feels good to get your seal of approval :emoji_astonished:

Wow....
Robert

That all looks amazing Robert! Props to you and that nice cook. Sounds like you had a peaceful and quiet thanksgiving with a great dinner!

Thank you John. Yes, it was peaceful to a point. I had Tracy's very spoiled beagle to deal with who thought the entire meal was for her. She was really disappointed when I sat down with a knife and fork to start eating, but she did get more than her share, and more than Tracy would allow if she'd been here.

Hope you had some cold beers to accompany!

Oh yes!! Found a little place open about 20 minutes from the house and went for a couple beers. Just needed to get out of the house for a bit, then came back here to get dinner going and had a couple (dozen) more off the home brew taps.

Not doing without my beer,
Robert

OMG - Killer! nice touch all around.

Thank you Sandy!! You've become somewhat of a regular where my posts are concerned. I very much appreciate that.

I too keep an eye out for the bachelor pad meal options. ;)

Options are always good to have. On a brighter note, at least you didn't destroy another keyboard this time :emoji_laughing:

Saving keyboards for posterity,
Robert

OMG---Another Masterpiece!!!
My kinda Plate!!
Yummmmm......
Like.

Thank you Bear!! You know fully well that it's folks like you that inspire others to go above and beyond. Those scallops were cooked exactly as you noted to do in one of your previous threads. Thank you sir!! Typically I'd have tried something that wasn't necessary but I followed your sage advice and they were perfect!!

Yep...Bear knows of what he speaks,
Robert

Looks absolutely delicious Robert!! I could go for that any day over turkey! That's the kind of bachelor meal I would enjoy.

Well there ya go Joe....keep this one in mind next time you're alone for an evening. It took a few different pans and the Rec Tec, but it really wasn't a difficult meal to make. Just had to keep an eye on the seafood to make sure it wasn't overcooked

We need to get you onto a ferris wheel instead of a carousel, lol

Thank you again my friend but I doubt seriously this one gets featured.....for several reasons. First is that the carousel is only 1/3 the size it was a couple days ago before the most recent "upgrade". Next is that this didn't hit the marks for presentation that I'd hoped for. Yes, it's ok but it didn't meet my expectations. Lastly, I've been fortunate to have a couple of threads featured recently but I respect the fact that the mods need to spread it around. They need to showcase other cooks, different cooking techniques, and different meals. The carousel cannot be dedicated to just a few folks. Everybody deserves their time in the limelight. I've had mine, it's somebody else's turn.

On a different note, look at what I'm making for dinner tonight. Told ya I was gonna make it, just took a bot longer than anticipated
001.jpg

Give ya three guesses as to what this is :emoji_laughing:
Robert

Reactions: xray
The ham cabbage and potato soup?

Yes sir. Went a bit of a different direction but just took a taste and it is amazing!! I'll fill you in later after we eat. OMG....this stuff is so good!!

Getting out the bowls,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky