1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Tasso Time!!!

Discussion in 'Hot Smoked Bacon' started by indaswamp, Feb 1, 2018.

1. mosparky

mosparky Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

awesome, I got a bunch in the freezer that need a purpose.

2. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

Inda, what is your meat to fat ratio for your venison sausage since venison is so lean

3. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

20~25% fat.

4. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

wher do you buy pork fat, last time I bought they charged me same price as pork shoulder and I am sure they just dug it out of fat cans in cutting room

5. indaswamp

I buy it locally at small A&G grocery stores. The butchers keep it in stock for in house sausage making. The stores bulk up on fat to sell after the hunting season is over for people making sausage. I get it for $0.69/lb. normally. They also carry back fat cut in 1" strips with the skin still attached for making cajun cracklins. I can get that for $0.99/lb. but I have to trim the skins...not a problem for me with a very sharp filet knife-it's like filleting a fish. I keep the skins for making boudin and head cheese.

6. pc farmer

pc farmer Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Would love to have a store like that here.

7. indaswamp

Back in Feb. when we processed all the deer, I bought 42lbs. of pork Boston butt trim fat for $0.79/lb. for all the sausages we made. Paid about $35 bucks with tax for it.

8. indaswamp

No butcher shops where you can buy fat?

9. pc farmer

pc farmer Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Not anywhere close. So I made sure when I butchered I got back fat. I have 10 lbs I think.

10. indaswamp

Gotcha...you must live back in a remote area in PA....

11. indaswamp

Check with any asian or mexican markets in your area...you will more than likely be able to buy what you need there for a great price....

12. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

Don't have any small grocers anymore, all replaced by big box stores, Jewel, Meier, Walmart, Butera and one custom butcher sells prime beef for a big price.I have been looking for veal shoulder for German sausage, 6 or 7 $ per pound.Very cost prohibitive.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018