Sweet Spanish chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
Hi guys. This just might be it.
I have been searching for a recipe for sweet spanish chorizo for some time now with no luck. Most of the Spanish chorizo
recipes you find on the net are just reworked Mexican chorizo recipes, not what I wanted. So I started from scratch and developed my own recipe.
I read through Marianski’s, spainish sausages book but never found anything there either. He did however go into detail about what makes a spanish
chorizo, it appears most use two types of paprika, hot and sweet, and by adding more or less of either you can get the sausage you want. I didn’t want
hot paprika of any kind so went on a search for any type of sweet paprika or sweet red peppers I could find. The list is short and sometimes very
expensive (imported) but I managed to find five variants that looked suitable for what I wanted. The generic “paprika” that you find in the spice isle
at your local supermarket is out because it has little to no flavor. The first one on my “usable” list can be found at your local store, the good old red bell pepper
or liquid paprika as I call it, roast them, peel, purée and you have a very tasty paste to start with. Next comes another pepper in a paste form the choricero or
sometimes called the chorizo pepper. Next another paste in a jar, Aji panca a very sweet but tasty pepper. Then onto the pepper flakes/powders. Espelette flakes
a sweet very nice pepper and finally, Aleppo flakes this is actually a somewhat spicy chile that has some of the same flavors of a ancho chile but is sweeter
and has some fruity flavors to it. Other than that just salt, garlic and just a pinch of black pepper is all there is to it.

If anyone is interested in the full recipe I would be happy to post it, in my opinion it is a very tasty sausage,

Cal

74ECC95C-14B4-45E1-ADF7-614C899F3B2F.jpeg
Sorry I’m having a hard time getting up to speed with the new system am I the only one?

Takes a little adjusting but it’s awesome when you do. Sounds like you did a lot of research and it looks great. I know for sure there are plenty of us who’d like the recipe. Nice job.

Interesting info . Thanks . I've been drying my bell peppers and grinding them into powder .
Sausage looks great , nice work .

Hi guys. This just might be it.
I have been searching for a recipe for sweet spanish chorizo for some time now with no luck. Most of the Spanish chorizo
recipes you find on the net are just reworked Mexican chorizo recipes, not what I wanted. So I started from scratch and developed my own recipe.
I read through Marianski’s, spainish sausages book but never found anything there either. He did however go into detail about what makes a spanish
chorizo, it appears most use two types of paprika, hot and sweet, and by adding more or less of either you can get the sausage you want. I didn’t want
hot paprika of any kind so went on a search for any type of sweet paprika or sweet red peppers I could find. The list is short and sometimes very
expensive (imported) but I managed to find five variants that looked suitable for what I wanted. The generic “paprika” that you find in the spice isle
at your local supermarket is out because it has little to no flavor. The first one on my “usable” list can be found at your local store, the good old red bell pepper
or liquid paprika as I call it, roast them, peel, purée and you have a very tasty paste to start with. Next comes another pepper in a paste form the choricero or
sometimes called the chorizo pepper. Next another paste in a jar, Aji panca a very sweet but tasty pepper. Then onto the pepper flakes/powders. Espelette flakes
a sweet very nice pepper and finally, Aleppo flakes this is actually a somewhat spicy chile that has some of the same flavors of a ancho chile but is sweeter
and has some fruity flavors to it. Other than that just salt, garlic and just a pinch of black pepper is all there is to it.

If anyone is interested in the full recipe I would be happy to post it, in my opinion it is a very tasty sausage,

Cal
Thanks for the info Cal. I have had some luck with standard Mexican Chorizo, but never tried the Spanish version----Now you have me on the hunt for those peppers. Yes I would appreciate the full recipe. I have a pork but in the freezer just waiting to ran through the grinder.

Like the others, I'd love to see the recipe Cal. The links look really nice, as does the color. What was your cooking method?
Have you read, "Charcuteria, The Soul Of Spain" By Jeff Weiss? It has a number of recipes for fresh sausage that have varying percentages of dulce and picante peppers.

It sure looks good, and Chorizo is one of my favorite sausages.
So please post the entire recipe!
Al

By the way, the aji panca paste, the espelette flakes, and the Aleppo pepper are available on eBay. The
choricero paste can be found online, just google “choricero paste” then look for la espanola meats, they sell it in jars.
other than that it is a pretty straightforward recipe, you are just using a paste in place of a dry spice mixture.

Cal

Reactions: couger78
Nice job on the chorizo, Cal! :emoji_thumbsup:
This recipe is very similar to the BASQUE chorizo I've made in the past (VERY similar ingredients—no surprise as the proximity of Spain to the Basque country! I suspect the Spanish co-opted the Basque recipe :emoji_wink:).

Like the others, I'd love to see the recipe Cal. The links look really nice, as does the color. What was your cooking method?
Have you read, "Charcuteria, The Soul Of Spain" By Jeff Weiss? It has a number of recipes for fresh sausage that have varying percentages of dulce and picante peppers.
Hi Dan I hadn’t seen that book before but I just ordered one so it should make for some interesting reading.

Cal

Reactions: DanMcG
Nice job on the chorizo, Cal! :emoji_thumbsup:
This recipe is very similar to the BASQUE chorizo I've made in the past (VERY similar ingredients—no surprise as the proximity of Spain to the Basque country! I suspect the Spanish co-opted the Basque recipe :emoji_wink:).
Hi cougar, actually it was your recipe that you posted that gave me the idea to start looking for different types of
Paprika to use other than the tired old stuff available in the grocery store, it really makes a difference.

Cal

Reactions: couger78
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky