SV Chucky 50 hours. (More Tender than Prime Rib!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks very nice and delicious, bear! 50 hours is kind of challenge for me (long waiting time) :emoji_wink: but got to try this next time , when chucky is on sale.... BTW, do you use only Beef Onion Soup for seasoning or you add some salt and pepper later.... ?

Looks very nice and delicious, bear! 50 hours is kind of challenge for me (long waiting time) :emoji_wink: but got to try this next time , when chucky is on sale.... BTW, do you use only Beef Onion Soup for seasoning or you add some salt and pepper later.... ?

Thank You!!
48 or even 46 hours should be the same.
I never salt anything before Tabling, because of my Congested Heart Failure & CKD.
However I sprinkle Black Pepper & some "No-Salt" (See below) at the table:
Bear
81JfU-hFYDL._AC_UL320_.jpg

And Thanks for the Like.

SV Chucky 50 hours. (More Tender than Prime Rib!)

I know---That doesn't sound possible!!---I couldn’t believe it myself!!!

A couple weeks ago, a couple of us were discussing longer times in SV for Chuckies.
Then @sawhorseray put most of a 30 hour Chucky back in & gave it another 20 hours, for a test, and said it was like Prime Rib!! I figured, “I gotta try that!!”
So here is my Chuck Roast History, since acquiring my Sous Vide Supreme:
I know that I originally made a Chucky with 21 hours, and it was pretty Tender.
Then I did a few at 24 hours, and they were about the same.
Then I did another one at 24 hours & it was pretty much on the tough side, so I figured some chuckles need more time than 24 hours.
So I did the next one for 30 hours, and it was pretty tender, so I figured I got it now.
I did a few more like that for 30 hours, and all was fine.
Then I got to talking with these couple guys, and @sawhorseray did one @ 48 hours, and he said it was like Prime Rib.

So here we go again:
I immediately put Mrs Bear on a Chuck Roast Hunt, at Weis Market.
Mrs Bear came home with a "CAB" Chuck Roast just for this experiment. It was $4.99, so she only got 1.
I had told her if they were $3.49 or less, get 3 of them, but only get 1 if they’re higher than that.
I was convinced that about 48 hours was going to make a Chucky Super Tender—Maybe close to Prime Rib.
So she brought it home with the rest of her Groceries, at about 1 PM, and put the rest of the stuff away.
Then I Prepped this 4 pound Chuck Roast, by dumping a pack of “Lipton Beefy Onion Soup” in the bag & Vac-sealing it.
This Dry Soup pack avoids any sucking up of juices by my Vac Sealer, and I got the idea from chopsaw chopsaw a year or more ago. I’ve been using it every time I SV Beef, and it works Great. So in it goes & I set it for 132° at 2 PM.
Over the next 50 hours, whenever either of us goes near my Sous Vide Supreme, we check the Temp, and over this 50 hour period, the Temp in that thing never went below 131.7°, and never went above 132°. I love that thing!!
So every time I woke up during the night, I’d look at the digital clock next to our Bed, to make sure it’s not blinking.
And every time I made a prostate run, I’d go check the SV Temp, since I’m already up.
BTW: I check the clock, because if it’s blinking, that means our electric Shut off for awhile, or at least Blinked off & on.
If it did blink, that would mean my SV shut off. And the power around here shuts off a lot more often than any of the places we have previously lived. I think if a Deer runs by & farts, our electric goes off!!
Well, we made it through the whole 50 hours, and I removed it from the Bath at 4 PM.
I cut the bag open & drained the juice out, and gave the juice to Mrs Bear, to make Gravy with.
Then I dried it off real good & dropped it in one of my real hot Copper Pans with a little bit of Butter, to sear both sides.
I also hit the edges & low spots with my torch, while the pan was searing the big flat sides.
Then I sliced the whole thing up, in about 1/4” thick slices. I snuck a couple small pieces, while slicing, and O-My!!!
I couldn’t believe how Tender those little pieces were!!! I can’t wait to sit down & eat more of this Beef!!!

So Mrs Bear whipped up some Taters Au Gratin, and I had some leftover Onion Rings I got the day before with a TOGO order from Salvatore’s, in Macungie, along side of a Weber Steak Sammy.
I plated up with a small pile of Beef, & my sides, and OMG !!! I could not believe it, but I swear to this. That beef was actually more Tender than any Prime Rib I have ever had in my life!!! That may sound like BS to you, because I can’t believe it myself, and I’m the guy who was eating it. It was Soooo Good!!!

50 hours will be my GOTO time on Chuckies from now on.
Then I packed all the leftover slices in one of our Green containers, and the next few days we had Super Tender Sammies, but I’ll save that part of the story & the rest of the Pictures for my next Thread Posting.

Don’t miss those Sammy Pics, coming Soon!!!

Stay Tuned !!!

And Thanks for dropping by.

Bear

One 3.92 LB "CAB" Chuck Roast @ $19.56:
View attachment 434936

Adding a pack of "Lipton Beefy Onion" Dry Soup Mix:
View attachment 434937

Seasoned, Sealed, and ready for the SV:
View attachment 434938

In the SV Rack & Ready for a long swim:
View attachment 434939

In my Sous Vide Supreme @ 132°:
View attachment 434940

Removed from SV after 50 hours @ 132°:
View attachment 434941

Searing sides in Hot Pan, and getting Sides & Low Spots with My Torch:
View attachment 434942

Slicing at about 1/4" Thick:
View attachment 434943

All Sliced Up:
View attachment 434944

Bear's First Helping---QView of Beef, Taters Au Gratin, and Onion Rings:
View attachment 434945

BearView----Beef Chucky More Tender Than Prime Rib!!!
View attachment 434946

QView of Leftovers, after first 2 Meals:
View attachment 434947

BearView of same:
View attachment 434948

Leftover for future Sammies----Coming Soon----Stay Tuned:
View attachment 434949
Looks good!! Never seen a piece of chuck look so juicy! Man you nailed it!! Cooked to perfection!!

So I bought a few Chickie's when they were on sale and cooked one up with great success as I said in a previous reply. I took the other two and vacuum sealed them with some seasoning so they'd be ready to go. I'm getting a hankering for more Chucky prime rib, and was wondering if you or anyone else has taken placed them in the SV frozen, Bearcarver Bearcarver ? Planning on thawing them out but couldn't help but wonder if that was a possibility.

J

... wondering if you or anyone else has taken placed them in the SV frozen, Bearcarver Bearcarver ? Planning on thawing them out but couldn't help but wonder if that was a possibility.

J
Yes, I do a lot in SV frozen, including chucky. On long cooks, it doesn’t affect the time at all.

So I bought a few Chickie's when they were on sale and cooked one up with great success as I said in a previous reply. I took the other two and vacuum sealed them with some seasoning so they'd be ready to go. I'm getting a hankering for more Chucky prime rib, and was wondering if you or anyone else has taken placed them in the SV frozen, Bearcarver Bearcarver ? Planning on thawing them out but couldn't help but wonder if that was a possibility.

J

Yup, I just add an hour on most things, but like said above, on long cooks no need to change the time.

Bear

OK, my turn. I've had this Inkbird Sous Vide sitting here unopened since Christmas. Really drives the She-Beast nuts. Was waiting for a good sale on chucks, but Covid hit and we all know the story from there. Finally found a sale on chucks at a price I find reasonable.
Not an APP person, so just downloading that and setting it up was an accomplishment for me. Sure makes it easy once I got the wrinkles ironed out.
Took me a couple of pots to find one big enough. I cut a sheet of bubble wrap to float on top with a semi circle cut out for the sous vide. Worked like a charm. Barely lost a 1/4 inch of water over 50 hours.
I set it to 140 as I find 130 on steaks and such, a bit too rubbery. Fast forward 50 hrs....Holy Crap !!
I've had Prime Rib in 5 Star restaurants before but never any thing that came close to this kind of tender. AND...it's still sliceable !! My mind and mouth are just totally blown away by this. I didn't sear it, but might tomorrow after work.
I got a few seasoning ideas for next time, but this is gonna be hard to beat.
Sorry, I'm tech challenged, so no pics.

Yup , it's awesome . I haven't gone 50 hours yet . The ones I've done at 132 are so close to prime rib it's almost hard to believe .

OK, my turn. I've had this Inkbird Sous Vide sitting here unopened since Christmas. Really drives the She-Beast nuts. Was waiting for a good sale on chucks, but Covid hit and we all know the story from there. Finally found a sale on chucks at a price I find reasonable.
Not an APP person, so just downloading that and setting it up was an accomplishment for me. Sure makes it easy once I got the wrinkles ironed out.
Took me a couple of pots to find one big enough. I cut a sheet of bubble wrap to float on top with a semi circle cut out for the sous vide. Worked like a charm. Barely lost a 1/4 inch of water over 50 hours.
I set it to 140 as I find 130 on steaks and such, a bit too rubbery. Fast forward 50 hrs....Holy Crap !!
I've had Prime Rib in 5 Star restaurants before but never any thing that came close to this kind of tender. AND...it's still sliceable !! My mind and mouth are just totally blown away by this. I didn't sear it, but might tomorrow after work.
I got a few seasoning ideas for next time, but this is gonna be hard to beat.
Sorry, I'm tech challenged, so no pics.

Sounds Great, Mosparky!!!
Glad you like it !!
I've been waiting for our $5.99 to go down to $3.99 at Giant.
It did twice, but didn't stay down until our pick-up day.

Bear

Pre-covid a typical sale price was 2.99. Now 3.99 seems like the typical sale. I keep watching ads on-line and found them at 2.99. (cut in house) The rest is stated above.

Heck ya! Loved the torching part. I have asked She Who Must Be Obeyed to get a big chuck roast.

Thank You Eddie!!
Mine are usually around 3 pounds, but My "Sous Vide Supreme" will only handle "So Big". I just finished a Pulled Beef Chucky yesterday that was about 2.5 LBS. It's gone already!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Has anybody tried putting one on the smoker for a few hours and then putting it in the SV for 50 hrs? I have only done a chuck and chuck burnt ends and both were good. But I think I have to try this.

Has anybody tried putting one on the smoker for a few hours and then putting it in the SV for 50 hrs? I have only done a chuck and chuck burnt ends and both were good. But I think I have to try this.

You can put it in your Smoker for 2 or 3 hours @ about 220°. Then seal it up & follow my 50 hours SV @ 131° on this Thread.
Yours will be both Very Tender & Smoky!!

Bear

Reactions: spg1
Doing this starting tonight. Had to sub in soup packet for compound butter with parm & garlic flavoring. My intent is to drop temp at the end briefly then sear it on either side to bring it back to temp. Hope it turns out good! Funny enough I found a youtuber from 2017 commenting on this thread when I searched videos on YT. It's an oldie but a goodie apparently.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky