Superbowl Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
20190202_195126.jpg
20190202_195054.jpg
Heres th three chuckles rubbed up and resting and the pork butt...
All are on the smoker, temp been holding steady at 225 since about 9:00 pm...
Got my jalapenos cut and seeded for ABTs I'll pop on in the am...
I'll check the smoker one more time shoot a pic in about an hour before I turn for a few hours sleep...

20190203_005845.jpg
20190203_005726.jpg
20190203_005537.jpg
Well the meat is looking good...
Butt IT is at 127° and the chucks are around 144°...smoker is holding temp nicely...231° now...
Got about half the ATBs wrapped...
Gonna grab a couple hours shut eye and check the chucks again...I dont want them over done and they're going a bit quicker than the butt...to be expected...they're 1/3 the weight and half the thickness...
I post some done pics tomorrow

Reactions: WaterRat
20190203_091256.jpg
20190203_091143.jpg
Two of three chuckles, done, on the foil and ready to wrap and rest...the other finished earlier and I didn't have my camera in hand when I pulled and wrapped it...
The butt is being a bit stuborn but its through the stall finally and at 180°....
I bumped the temp in my smoker from 230°ish to about 280°...I figure it'll be done by 10:30ish...
Timing is perfect...our potluck starts at 1:00
ABTs are going on now...got 5 dozen...
I'll run them at 280° while the butt finishes then bump the temp to 350° so they'll be done by noon...

Reactions: 73saint
View attachment 387040 View attachment 387041 View attachment 387042 Well the meat is looking good...
Butt IT is at 127° and the chucks are around 144°...smoker is holding temp nicely...231° now...
Got about half the ATBs wrapped...
Gonna grab a couple hours shut eye and check the chucks again...I dont want them over done and they're going a bit quicker than the butt...to be expected...they're 1/3 the weight and half the thickness...
I post some done pics tomorrow

Some fine looking eats there, I'm sure everyone will be satisfied, yumm!

Reactions: jokensmoken
Interestingly enough, sort of...
I had my first butt take FOREVER and had to foil wrap and finish in the oven today.
I'd heard folks talking about 14 or 16 hour or even longer times on butt roasts but i.personally have NEVER (before today) had one take more than 12...and it is usually less than 12.
Now, I always plan ahead and know exactly what to do but today was the first time I've ever had to deviate from my plan.
My butt was on the smoker at 8:00 pm... giving me 15 hours before it "had" to be wrapped and resting.
My smoker temp was steady between 225° and 240° all.night...
I hit a hard stall that seemed to take forever to get through but by 8:00 am this morning the IT was at about 175 and climbing (I thought...lol) giving me a couple more hours
I bumped my temp a bit then to 270ish and went about my business confident that I'd be ready by 10:30 ish...
At 9:20 or so I noticed the IT had dropped about 3° so I grabbed my foil and wrapped it and bumped the temp to a bit over 300°...
Still confident I'd be done in plenty of time...
At 11:20 I was still under 285° IT and had to.pull it from.the smoker at finish it in the oven set at 350°...
It did finish and was pullable by 1:00 but MAN-O-MAN...
I've never had a butt act that way...
I've heard of it, but after doing 1000 pounds of pork butts (NO exageration) I'd never experienced it...
It turned out great anyway but only.
because ive read a lot of threads on this site, posted by all the good knowledgable folks here,, I'f not, id have certainly failed...or at.minimum.been a few hours late for our 1:00 pot luck...
Lesson...NEVER think you've got "it all" figured out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky