Sunday's Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
Sorry for the late post... very busy weekend! My bro-in-law is in the hospital for some serious heart related issues, so we have had folks in and out since Saturday.

Anyway, during the mayhem, I managed to fire up the CG and smoke up butt for some of the most awesome pulled pork sammiches to date! Saturday, I rubbed it with Jeff's rub, slathered it in yellow mustard and cellophaned it in the fridge overnight.

Got up at 6 AM Sunday, fired up the coals and got my beloved up to 225-235, then threw on a single chunk of guava wood. I'll tell ya', the more I play with that wood, the more I like it! Very smooth, smokey flavor, leaning toward mesquite. The wood has an oily, sappy residue that escapes it at first, which produces a bit of heavy smoke, but soon turns to the thin blue. But, I digress...

Butt hit the grates at 6:50 AM, temps were unstable so I decided to try the tuning plates again. That settled it down, I was able to keep a constant 230-ish all day. The butt hit a plateau for a short period of time, then went on it's merry way to the 165 mark. I wrapped it in foil at that point, then back to the grates to reach a 200 temp. Wrapped it up and let it sit for an hour, then pulled it.

Along with the butt, I put together some avocado ABT s, red cabbage slaw, grilled sweet corn, and my lovely bride built some of her world famous tater salad. All-in-all, we had a wonderful feast for our guests.

Again, I apologize for the lousy Q-View... I still have not remedied the sucky camera situation. I only got 2 shots of the pig, nothing else I'm afraid... it was a crazy day. The first pic 3 hours into it, the second is at 1 hour.... got 'em back-asswards.

BTW, as I am typing this, my bro-in-law just got out of surgery and all went very well... WOOOOHOOOO!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Marty -

I'm happy to hear you brother-in-law did well in surgery. May the lord grant him a painless and speedy recovery - Amen

Inspite of it all you made some nice butts! Now if you can ever learn to use that bloody camera!
biggrin.gif

LOL! Who's Marty...?
biggrin.gif

It ain't me, the camera is the problem... it is an el-cheapo POS that has NO adjustments anywhere, very outdated and just plain ol' crap. I have tons of Nikon gear, which ain't digital... all film. I am looking for a digital body at a reasonable price so I can use all my lenses and accessories. Then look out...

Stay tuned...
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and prayers... my bro-in-law is doing good so far!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky