Summer Sausage recipe substitution

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jborque

Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
Athens, Texas
I found a recipe created to Pat Thompson in 2012 for Summer Sausage that everyone loved last year. It calls for liquid buttermilk and I was wondering if you guys think I could use powered Buttermilk or something else instead.

Also have any of you used Curley's Summer Sausage spice? If so please tell me what you think of it. 

I found a recipe created to Pat Thompson in 2012 for Summer Sausage that everyone loved last year. It calls for liquid buttermilk and I was wondering if you guys think I could use powered Buttermilk or something else instead.

Also have any of you used Curley's Summer Sausage spice? If so please tell me what you think of it. 
I have use buttermilk and Sako powder BM (same as fermento) All of these give you the LA (Lactic Acid) to have a tangy taste. ECA will do the same after you hand mix it in. I used Curleys in the past, not bad but find its close to LEM mixes.

Thanks Nepas and Chewmaster.

One more question: I made a batch of venison SS today and my fiberous casings shrunk to the point of being loose. The meat was lean, low moisture and I did not rush the temps. There was no moisture or grease evidence in the bottom of the smoker I finished off at 170 with a pot of water in the house for the last 2 hours. The internal reached 155. The product is great tasting.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks Nepas and Chewmaster.

One more question: I made a batch of venison SS today and my fiberous casings shrunk to the point of being loose. The meat was lean, low moisture and I did not rush the temps. There was no moisture or grease evidence in the bottom of the smoker I finished off at 170 with a pot of water in the house for the last 2 hours. The internal reached 155. The product is great tasting.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Loose casing is under stuffing. Your water finish should be at a water temp of 160-165, may take while depending on what IT of the meat you pulled from your smoker, keep the water moving with a spoon so you dont get hot spots. Also if you take the temp IT of the meat in the water and its say like 150-151 you can pull, dunk in cold water for 30 seconds and hang or rack the chubs, they will IT to 152-153 by themselves..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky