Summer Sausage Casing question With SS making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I may give that a try on my next batch Dave, thanks! I tried it this morning and it’s a lot less greasy feeling to me so maybe it just needed some time in the fridge after coming to room temp to settle out. I’m really happy with these after letting them set overnight!

Pilot, morning... Fat is flavor, I wouldn't cut down on it yet....
When cooking your SS, try pasteurizing it... Makes for a safe to eat product cooked at a lower temperature....
My sausage and sticks NEVER are cooked above 140F, using a smoker temp of 155F.... Takes awhile for the meat to get up to temp but the texture is sooooo much better...
Here's a pasteurization table.... I hold at the ~135F temp for an hour or so longer to insure complete bacteria destruction.. and allow for uneven temps in the smoker and therms that may not be reading correctly...

View attachment 432059
I need to try that next time Dave. Would save a whole lot of time instead of trying to get to the 157° I normally shot for. Those last 15° seem like take forever if trying to keep temps low enough to prevent fat out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky