Summer sausage…lacking flavor with SV method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wibigfish

Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
Recently have done a few batches of summer sausage and hot sticks. Have been using PS seasonings. These last few batches I have stuffed the day of grind, let sit overnight in fridge in casings, then 3 hrs dry time at room temp before smoking.

Typically start at 100 degrees or around there for an hour and then maintain that temp for 5-6 hrs while applying smoke. Finish to 152 in the SV cooler (vac sealed not naked).

I have noticed that everything I’ve made with this method is good but lacking flavor to a certain extent in terms of the spices.

I’m aassuming that because I’m not smoking at higher temps the meat isn’t losing as much moisture and hence the spices aren’t being condensed (for lack of a better term)

Has anyone noticed this with the SV method? I’m thinking of adding like 25% more spice to the mix to offset this as a starting point?

Any input or suggestions?

I found this to be true on anything I SV'd.. For that reason I no longer us it... I have never SV'd any of my sausage... So I can't help to that specific question
I like the simplicity and consistency of the SV method for sausage and hot sticks just need to figure out the flavor aspect.

Summer sausage for me is start to finish in the smoker .
I will do unsmoked lunch meat type stuff in the SV , but I use 140 for a cook temp and go by Baldwins chart for size , temp and length of time .
Hog casing type stuff I smoke for color the use the same 140 cook temp and length of time by the same chart .
I've found better results for the hog casing stuff to poach on the stove at 175 ish for 30 minutes . For me it's way better than the SV .
I think people view the SV cook as fail safe , when its not .
I have cooked the flavor out of sausages because I let them go to long at to high of a temp .

Reactions: indaswamp
Recently have done a few batches of summer sausage and hot sticks. Have been using PS seasonings. These last few batches I have stuffed the day of grind, let sit overnight in fridge in casings, then 3 hrs dry time at room temp before smoking.

Typically start at 100 degrees or around there for an hour and then maintain that temp for 5-6 hrs while applying smoke. Finish to 152 in the SV cooler (vac sealed not naked).

I have noticed that everything I’ve made with this method is good but lacking flavor to a certain extent in terms of the spices.

I’m aassuming that because I’m not smoking at higher temps the meat isn’t losing as much moisture and hence the spices aren’t being condensed (for lack of a better term)

Has anyone noticed this with the SV method? I’m thinking of adding like 25% more spice to the mix to offset this as a starting point?

Any input or suggestions?
Hi there and welcome!

1. Do you do a fry test to ensure your meat is seasoned well (not too salty or too bland) before you stuff and smoke?

This will let you know if your flavors are good to go before you proceed any further. The exact flavor profile will change after smoking and SV however, you will know that the flavors are not too bland or too salty/strong before proceeding further.

[Edit: Didn't initially notice that the sausages were vac sealed when SV'ed. Striking through the following as it is not relevant to the issue :) ]

2. Do you vac seal or bag the sausage in some way so it's not directly in the water or do you drop the sausages directly into the water and SV?

If you drop the sausage in the water and SV then the water will draw salt and flavor out and this would be a problem.

Let us know and hopefully we can help get to the bottom of your issues :)

Last edited:
Finish to 152 in the SV cooler (vac sealed not naked).

2. Do you vac seal or bag the sausage in some way so it's not directly in the water or do you drop the sausages directly into the water and SV?

If you drop the sausage in the water and SV then the water will draw salt and flavor out and this would be a problem.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks for highlighting the "(vac sealed not naked)" part. Editing the post to avoid causing unnecessary confusion :D

Reactions: DougE
I don't think it's the SV and say try a different mix. Big fan of AC Leggs. Smoking SS can be frustrating so I get why you went SV. I think the issue is evaporative cooling. I am always playing around with stuff. Going PID helped but also closing the vent after a certain point. I think next run I am gonna try closing the vent mostly the whole time. Marianski says 70% RH.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky