Suggested High Temp Paint?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQ Warlock

Original poster
May 11, 2016
Bethlehem, PA
Greetings SMF, and Happy Friday!!!

I posted about some peeling paint on the lid of the FireBox on my new OK Joe Highland:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ing-process-ok-joe-highland-help#post_1564017

In that discussion, it was mentioned that the paint that OK Joe uses is not a good quality. I am looking for some suggestions for a high quality Heat Resistant Paint suitable to use on the outside of a Charcoal/Wood Smoker.

From being involved in this forum for a short time I see that there is a lot of experience here, and I am hoping that you great people will be willing to share some of your experience/knowledge.

Cheers,

Morgan.

I think a lot of people use Rustoleum high heat - ultra paint. The ultra has a bit of a gloss to it.
I always had some problems keeping paint on my OJ firebox.

Instead of engine paint you would be better off using high heat exhaust paint. Like VHT found at auto parts store. My can says it's good to 2000 deg. I have painted exhaust manifolds with it and it seems to hold up. VHT Flameproof Coating. Engine paint is only good to 500-600 degrees generally. 

Instead of engine paint you would be better off using high heat exhaust paint. Like VHT found at auto parts store. My can says it's good to 2000 deg. I have painted exhaust manifolds with it and it seems to hold up. VHT Flameproof Coating. Engine paint is only good to 500-600 degrees generally. 
The only VHT I could find on Amazon was in metallic colors:

But I did find this 2,000 Degree Exhaust in black:

I'll keep my eyes open in my local auto stores.

Thanks Wichita Chief!

VHT SP102 Flameproof Coating flat black. $14.38 on Amazon. Paint for a fireplace would work also. I bought some from my fireplace dealer to touch up my insert. I can't find that paint in my mess. I have used the VHT on heddars and liked it. That's probably what I'd use on my OKJ when I touch it up.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky