Stupid Smokin-It Break-In Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
I just put my Smokin-It #2 together! I'm trying to do the break-in. I have questions.

1. The door takes some pressure to close. Is that normal?

2. Where do I put the wood? The little box has two stories, and I ordered a screen the recommended. Do I put everything on top or what?

I just realized how stupid that second question is. The heating element fills the lower level of the smoke box, so I can't put the wood in it.

I have it running now! Exciting!

Attachments

• 10 01 20 Smokin-It smoker break in run small.jpg
    10 01 20 Smokin-It smoker break in run small.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 33
I have a model 2. The door takes some effort to close by design. It seals very tightly.

I enjoy mine very much. I'm dry-brining a slab of spare ribs right now to cook tomorrow. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

I have a #3 and the door is much easier to close than the one on the #1. And previous post is correct, that makes the seal. And you make get some smoke that leaks out around the door, don't worry about it. Mine doesn't leak now that it has some buildup around it after a bunch of smokes.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to use it today, but it blows my GFI breakers. I thought I was breaking it in, but it wasn't getting power.

but it blows my GFI breakers.

When you say GFI breakers, are these the actual breakers in the electric panel?
The #2 has an 800 watt element and should only be drawing approx 8 amps.
Are you using an extension cord? If so, is it a 12 or 14 gauge?
Since the smoker is new, you'd think the element can't be going bad.
Maybe something came loose and it's leaking to ground.
I'd give Smokin-it customer service a call just to see what they think.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Forgot to ask, how old are the GFI outlets?
They do eventually wear out even if not used frequently.

I'm referring to breakers built into outlets. I have contacted Smokin-It, so maybe they know something about it.

There is no extension cord, and the house was built in 2000.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I'm referring to breakers built into outlets. I have contacted Smokin-It, so maybe they know something about it.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, something isn't right since the smoker is tripping other GFI outlets.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Have you tried plugging it into a "non-GFCI" outlet? I have several GFCI outlets on the same circuit and if one goes bad, none of them work.

If it trips a breaker when you plug it into a non-GFCI outlet, then I agree; there's something wrong with the smoker.

I noticed that you posted up your first rib smoke in another thread.
They look good from my view.

I am assuming you used a non GFI outlet.

Have you tried the smoker on the same GFI outlet since then?

I noticed that you posted up your first rib smoke in another thread.
They look good from my view.

I am assuming you used a non GFI outlet.

Have you tried the smoker on the same GFI outlet since then?

I've always plugged mine in to the same GFCI outlet. Never a problem, including this morning (just now).

Have you (or the OP) tried plugging yours into a "non-GFCI" outlet (see my post above). To elaborate, I have at least 6 GFCI outlets on the same circuit at my house. If one outlet "trips" they're all out. One is in the bathroom, and if moisture gets anywhere near it, it trips, and the outside outlet I plug the Smokin-it in is out. Then, if I reset the bathroom outlet, they all work again.

I've also had cases where a GFCI outlet will "wear out" and and won't reset. Such an outlet needs to be replaced.

I've always plugged mine in to the same GFCI outlet. Never a problem, including this morning (just now).

Have you tried plugging yours into a "non-GFCI" outlet (see my post above). To elaborate, I have at least 6 GFCI outlets on the same circuit at my house. If one outlet "trips" they're all out. One is in the bathroom, and if moisture gets anywhere near it, it trips, and the outside outlet I plug the Smokin-it in is out. Then, if I reset the bathroom outlet, they all work again.

I've also had cases where a GFCI outlet will "wear out" and and won't reset. Such an outlet needs to be replaced.

I think you meant to reply to Count Procula.

But yeah, I hear what you're saying about a GFI in another part of the house will also be tied in with outdoors outlets.

Whoever the genius was who wired up my house tied in an outdoor rated GFI to a circuit that feeds 9 other indoor devices (outlets, ceiling fan, kitchen lights, etc). I used to use that outdoor GFI for my smoker. But when that circuit would get overloaded, it would trip the breaker in the panel.

It got to be such PIA resetting the breaker, that I ended up running a dedicated 20 Amp line outside just for the smoker. The smoker draws 15 Amps when the 1200 Watt and 300 Watt elements kick on at the same time.

I've been inadvertently replying to SecondHandSmoker below. Please have a look at my suggestions to him and let us know if they help.

I think you meant to reply to Count Procula.

But yeah, I hear what you're saying about a GFI in another part of the house will also be tied in with outdoors outlets.

Whoever the genius was who wired up my house tied in an outdoor rated GFI to a circuit that feeds 9 other indoor devices (outlets, ceiling fan, kitchen lights, etc). I used to use that outdoor GFI for my smoker. But when that circuit would get overloaded, it would trip the breaker in the panel.

It got to be such PIA resetting the breaker, that I ended up running a dedicated 20 Amp line outside just for the smoker. The smoker draws 15 Amps when the 1200 Watt and 300 Watt elements kick on at the same time.

Yes, you're right. I meant to respond to Count Porcula. I lost track of the OP. :emoji_blush: I've responded to him above.

It sounds like the same genius who wired your house wired mine. :emoji_blush: The PIA for me was hunting down all the GFCI outlets to see which one had to be reset before the one in my backyard would work again. My problems with the GFCI outlets didn't translate to tripping breakers in the panel.

I plug my Model 2 into a 15 amp circuit and, as of yet, never had a problem.

Yes, you're right. I meant to respond to Count Porcula. I lost track of the OP. :emoji_blush: I've responded to him above.

It sounds like the same genius who wired your house wired mine. :emoji_blush: The PIA for me was hunting down all the GFCI outlets to see which one had to be reset before the one in my backyard would work again. My problems with the GFCI outlets didn't translate to tripping breakers in the panel.

I plug my Model 2 into a 15 amp circuit and, as of yet, never had a problem.

Hey, it happens. And I am just as guilty too. :emoji_laughing:

Oh, and as far as wiring goes, NEC 2020 now calls for all new construction to provision for GFICs for refrigerators too. I can see it now, some genius is going to install the GFI outlet behind the fridge. :emoji_laughing:

From what I understand, the #2s have 800 watt elements so their amp draw really won't max out a 15 Amp circuit all by themselves.

As far as the OP, I wonder if maybe his smoker's element absorbed a little bit of moisture somehow during shipping. Something is causing the GFI to detect a voltage difference between the hot and neutral. But as you said, it could very well be the outlet itself.

All in all, when or if my SmokeTronix kicks the bucket, I've got my eye set on a model #3D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky