Stuffers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Most of those estimates for how much you'll get in a casing aren't real accurate... you should start taking notes for how much you use, like inches. Just take a quick measure before starting, then what is left unused, for collagen casings. It will be your best guide to not wasting extra casing later.

Well I have used several brands of stuffers and the F Dick made in Germany is the top of the line if you can find one used that won't break the bank and the Tre Spade is another good one from Italy . I use the old Enterprise stuffers for the most part. I looked around and found some old rusted up stuffers and refurbished them .Now they are better than new but heavy being made of cast iron. They are made in the USA unlike most of the SS ones that are on the market that are made in China . I had a buddy that just bought some cheap Chinese one off Amazon and it broke already. You get what you pay for.

Did you have any blow outs ? If not, stuff tighter next time until you do... This will give you an idea of how tight you can go ...
Yes, one. And it split about 4" both directions!. Those collagen casings take some getting used to compared to hog casings. Thanks

Collagen doesn't have as much stretch as natural casings, so you kind of have to be on top of how tight you fill them.

My technique is... Give the stuffer crank a little bit of a turn and let it pull about 5'' of casing of the tube... stop the casing from sliding off but keep cranking... Watch the meat fill the casing... when the meat stops moving inside the casing it's about as tight as it's gonna get... let another 5'' off the tube.. stop it.. watch it fill... cranking slowly the whole time... You'll get the hang of it and go through a tube full of casings in no time...
I'm sure you found out that the process goes much smoother with 2 people... One coiling the sausage/snack sticks as it comes off the tube ...

Well I have used several brands of stuffers and the F Dick made in Germany is the top of the line if you can find one used that won't break the bank and the Tre Spade is another good one from Italy . I use the old Enterprise stuffers for the most part. I looked around and found some old rusted up stuffers and refurbished them .Now they are better than new but heavy being made of cast iron. They are made in the USA unlike most of the SS ones that are on the market that are made in China . I had a buddy that just bought some cheap Chinese one off Amazon and it broke already. You get what you pay for.
I use a National Specialty that is basically identical to an Enterprise.
I like the cast iron as I fridge it overnight before stuffing my batch.

Reactions: poacherjoe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky