Street Barbecue in China

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry to steer this thread but this is interesting. Are you making friends with the locals, and are they interested in western cooking/smoking? Have you made smoked stuff and given them a taste? I realize your choice of meat is different but I wonder if smoking is even considered in China.

MENUDO!!! Again Okinawa, hanging out with some TexMex friends. Wake up one morning and they were like here, this is great for a hangover. Well not when they told me what it was...I never figured out how they even made it considering we were living in barracks. They would get up in the morning and make homemade tortillas fry them on a little single burner plug in thing. Then they would fill them up with re-fried beans!!! They thought my PB&J we weird!!!

Greetings, Herr Tulpe!

And thank you for adding a whole new dimension to our forum. I am a fan of stir fry and own several woks all black and shiny! One of my favorite things to do is just clean out the fridge and wok up the results with whatever seasonings happen to tickle me at the moment. Amazing what one can do.

For those who would like a very versatile and punched up teryaki marinade check out a post I made some time ago
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...read.php?t=286

I originally posted it for teryaki wings but it has many uses.

Looking forward to more glimpses of the Far East!
Thanks again, Herr Tulpe!

Cheers!

If you watch the food channel, the Surreal Gourmet presented a simpler version of the above mixture for grilling beef. His father's technique was to mix the salt and cayenne pepper in a bottle of water and squirt the mixture on the steaks periodically as it cooked on both sides.

KeyWest - I thinking smoking is considered in China but they do it in a different way, and not sure yet what kind of meats they do it with. I heard a story from a friend that his wife (whom is from Central Chinese province of Sichuan - where the spicy food comes from) in her village they smoke meat by hanging it from a garage ceiling, lighting a small fire at the far end consiting of shelled peanuts, and opeingin the door just a crack. Don't know if it's true or not, but intend to travel there on day and find out!

Would be great if we could get an international thread going as well. Would love some good recipes for Malaysian/Indonesian Satay with good satay sauce, and in eastern Europe the have some fantastic grilled meat!

I assume Menudo is some sort of tripe? Is it a special dish? Never heard of it..

I think this thread is fascinating to us in the US. I hope you stay with us!
How about shopping.....can you buy pretty much what you want, or is supply limited? One big store or lots of little markets?

...And it is just as fascinating to us here in Canada !
smile.gif

No problem friend ... we are used to being left out of things ...
icon_lol.gif
we are all "North Americans" ... that includes Mexico as well, but only in the US are peeps called American !!! ...curious isn't it?

We have most things.. You just can't always read the label.. No good having peanut allergies here!! It also means some fun surprises sometimes, like you thought you bought a bag of instant beef noodles but its actually chicken.. Over time you learn to recognise brands, pictures, and second guess a lot of things!

During the last 4 years or so they have opened up a big Walmart downtown, a Carrefour, and then about 5 minutes down the road there is a Tesco joint venture called Hymall.

But when you go down the back streets and find the wet markets its a lot more fun! The choice of fresh fruit and vegetables is incredible, like nothing I had ever seen before in Europe! They have things I don't have a clue how to cook, and I was a confident cook in Europe (ie I could buy pretty much everything and cook it).. I don't have a lot of market photos, but will follow as your interested!

So Canada is in North America huh...

Squeezy - I meet a lot of Americans who when they travelling say they're Canadian.. They're all just secretly jealous that you really are!!
smile.gif

Jeez, Walmarts in China. Our American pollution spreads far.
Canada is our northern neighbor, and perhaps our best friends. They know when to be savvy and stay out of things that we seem to blindly walk into, and the US even had "Thank you Canada" billboards nationwide when Canadian embassy officials sneaked 6 Americans out of the middle east years ago. (I don't forget!) and the pot en pot is to die for, but that's another subject.

Herr, what are food prices like? Can you buy beef, you have not mentioned it. Hamburger? Steak? Sorry to drill you with Q's but it's interesting.

I thank you all for your kind words about Canadians ... I like to wear a flag pin when travelling ...helps with friendliness and we can all use that.
FYI .... my dad had an American mother and Canadian father and he was born in Chicago now living in Texas. My mother was born here. I have many relatives on both sides of the border.....
icon_cry.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky