Stop the basting, mopping, and spritzing. Just cut it out.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think if it weren't called spritzing, more people would like it. There's probably some closet spritzers out there. I've always spritzed, all three times.
biggrin.gif

I'm doing 6 racks of BB's to take to the UF game Saturday. I may not spritz, and even thought of doing a 2-1-2, or no foil at all. Decisions, decisions.

One thing is for sure, as with the Bucs games, the tailgate will probably be the best part.  

I would to comment on your statements.  Meat is not a sponge absorbing liquid thrown at it thus you're not adding moisture by mopping or spritzing; wrapping in foil will increase moisture.  If you mop for flavor, you soften the bark and most mops contain 95% or more of water which evaporates away, if the goal is to increase flavor, make a more flavorful rub or sauce.  We simply just want to make mopping/spritzing work, but it doesn't.  :)
No where did i say meat absorbed moisture . In fact it loses moisture when cooked . That is why i said that you could just put liquid in the pan. If the air in the smoker is saturated w/ moisture then less will cook out of the meat. 

I don't cook for judges . i cook for me and mine. i really never have worried bout smoke rings or bark . Just the doneness and taste at the end.

And i never use sauce as i have never smoked anything i wanted to hide the taste of.

My bil on the other hand has never tasted good smoked meat as he has to drown everything in sauce b4 tasting it.

I spritz my pork shoulders, ribs, and chicken. I see no proof in that article that I'm doing nothing or harm in doing it. I definitely can taste a difference vs no spritzing or basting. Now on brisket, spritzing and basting seem to add little to the process, IMHO.

If you're seeing a soggy bark or not enough bark forming, then you're spritzing too much and/or too early. I always like to spritz in the last half of the cook. I'm looking for that bark to take in just a little bit more flavor. But that may be the key: Just a touch of flavor. I'm not looking to add major components to the flavor profile or keep it moist with spritzing or basting. So I'm not doing it every hour on the hour. Just when I'm cracking the lid anyway. To check temps, or hit the next stage of 3-2-1/2-2-1 ribs, etc.

HMMM

I just went back and re read the artile and the writer does a pretty good job of covering his butt.

There are alot of maybes and probablys in that article.

If ya ask me, I'm going to tell ya the way i do it.

I may do a few things as test that i wouldn't tell someone else to do. but they will never be posted as what worked for me once may not work twice.

No where did i say meat absorbed moisture . In fact it loses moisture when cooked . That is why i said that you could just put liquid in the pan. If the air in the smoker is saturated w/ moisture then less will cook out of the meat. 

I don't cook for judges . i cook for me and mine. i really never have worried bout smoke rings or bark . Just the doneness and taste at the end.

And i never use sauce as i have never smoked anything i wanted to hide the taste of.

My bil on the other hand has never tasted good smoked meat as he has to drown everything in sauce b4 tasting it.

My suggestion is try smokin' without spritzin'/messin'.  Fact is the majority of people add a bbq sauce or some sort of dressing to their post-smoked meat.  The minority who doesn't prefers a super-heavy bark.  So you are in a minority of a minority which is no means a bad thing, but don't be upset if your bil or others do not follow in your footsteps.  Where all brainwashed by Chili's marketing: Babyback, fall off the bone, BBQ sauce ribs :)

Here's a thought. By spritzing you are loosing heat each time you open the smoker to mess with it. That much is just plain common sense, undeniable and needs no justification or further explanation.

By opening the smoker and loosing that heat you actually end up extend the cooking time over what it would have been.

By extending the cooking time you are drying out the meat more than you are helping it with the spritzing.

It's much like "the more I hurry and the faster I go the behinder I get."

Here's a thought. By spritzing you are loosing heat each time you open the smoker to mess with it. That much is just plain common sense, undeniable and needs no justification or further explanation.

By opening the smoker and loosing that heat you actually end up extend the cooking time over what it would have been.

By extending the cooking time you are drying out the meat more than you are helping it with the spritzing.

It's much like "the more I hurry and the faster I go the behinder I get."
That all depends on the heat recovery time.

If you have a extremely Quick heat recovery time no harm no foul.

My reverse flow can be opened for up to 15 seconds before heat loss becomes an issue.

But if its opened 30 seconds or so, it may take up to 2-3 minutes to recover, that is why I only spritz on temp spikes for long smokes.

Now my GOSM is a whole different animal, I will only spritz if adding wood for smoke and water for the water pan. I don't just PEEK anymore.

Just put the meat in shut it and leave it shut. I don't care what you do, if you open it up you're gonna loose heat no matter if it does get back up there quick. It's simple physics.

Just put the meat in shut it and leave it shut. I don't care what you do, if you open it up you're gonna loose heat no matter if it does get back up there quick. It's simple physics.

Boy! if that's not a blanket statement. Of course you will loose some heat (heated air) that is in the chamber at the time.

There are times when I feel you should open the smoker, like burping out some nasty smoke or a temperature spike, on my Reverse Flow anyhow.

On my GOSM I need to add water or wood, on long smokes and that's when I'll spritz.

What about the folks that swear by foiling, should they abandon that practice as well. What about checking the water pan on water smokers and adding wood chips/chunks, checking temps with a thermapen, removing foods like ABT's and fatties that are done a lot sooner than a 10lb butt for example.

What about the Q-Views on here, without a quick peek and snapshot we would never get to see those beautiful pictures of the food being smoked.

The point I am trying to make is, you can not lay down a blanket statement like that, and its posts like that that doesn't help the good people on this forum.

The cook just needs to know his smoker and take caution if he chooses the path of the Mop/Spritz, so be it.

IMHO

That's what makes this site the greatest site on earth:

Everybody does things differently.

Sometimes I spritz, sometimes I don't.

Sometimes I foil, sometimes I don't.

I never spritz until the meat has been cooking for an hour & a half, so I don't destroy the possible bark I got started with my rub.

I make "step by steps", and put them in my signature for people to look at. I know if I make it easy for someone to try something, it will give them confidence to give it a try.

I never tell them they have to do things exactly the way I do.

I study posts by many guys & gals on this forum to come up with the things I do.

Most of my smokes are from a compilation of a whole lot of posts from a great number of fellow meat smokers on this forum.

The only people I don't listen to are those who think they know everything, and think their way is the ONLY way.

Smoke on Guys & Gals, and don't forget the Qview,

Bear

"like burping out some nasty smoke" LOL

You gotta be pulling my leg. Now that's what I'd call a blanket reach.

I agree with Bear. I know that's a shocker. LOL!

But.....

ain't nothin' Gospel but the Bible!

I do so many things folks would consider bass ackwards it ain't funny. But, if we did everything the same then it wouldn't be any fun. Oh, I am a bastin' mo fo and can't imagine not doing that. Just sayin'!!! And besides, I have a special bowl I use for basting and I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had to stop, it's my good luck bowl.

c891d902_squirrelbowl.jpg

have a confession to make...

I'M A PEEKER

I cant control my self I love playing with my food.

I take care of my food better than My kids.

I bathe my food in glazes and spritzes.

I am forever checking their temps.

I play with them a lot, turning and moving and stirring.

I will take them out and wrap them in foil and warm towels.

I love taking pictures of them.

And I enjoy them at dinner time.

I really enjoy Smoking/Cooking/Grilling/Campfire cooking etc...

I enjoy it because I do it MY Way.

I have learned a lot on this forum and would love it if I could personally shake everyones hand who has helped me on my low and slow journey.

Come on you know your a peeker...admit it!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky