Sticks for hanging sausages in smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
I keep running into these "hanging sticks" when searching for snack stick recipes and am wondering what I can use in my MB vertical propane smoker.

Considering the way my racks slide into shallow tracks on each side wall, I don't think the tracks are deep enough to support the ends of some sort of stick/rod once loaded up with sausages, so as I really don't wish to drill more holes in the cabinet than I already have (for temp probes), I'm thinking if I insert the top rack and suspend a stick/rod from s-hooks, that would work?

I guess I "could" drill holes and then cover them up when not in use...I read a post somewhere in here where someone suggested using those flexible refrigerator magnets to close up a hole.

Thoughts?

If there is enough lip to hold a rack, it should hold a solid dowel. I use 3/4” oak dowels in my big smokehouse, bit different set up, but if you use a heavy oak dowel and cut the length right I would think that would work.

I use 5/8" dowels, cut to length and sanded at both ends to fit snug in the grooves of my Masterbuilt smoker. This also gives the dowels a flat surface to rest on.

Attachments

• 20221226_112342.jpg
    20221226_112342.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have used wood and I also use "3/8" all thread" from the job site . And cutting the sticks to lay on the racks is what I prefer. Depends on what type and shape of smoker you have .

ST, I use 3/4"x3/4" stainless steel angle iron. I bought it at a big box store and cut it to length.

ST, I use 3/4"x3/4" stainless steel angle iron. I bought it at a big box store and cut it to length.
crazymoon , do you put the iron with the right angle up and hang the meat directly off the iron (^) or do you do it the (L) way and hang hooks off the iron? Hopefully this question makes sense??

I think the easiest route is going to be S hooks from the rack... There was/is a thread where a guy made wood blocks ( I made them too)... that slide in behind grate rail and have the half round notches to set the wood dowels (3/4'') in...

Reactions: TNJAKE
crazymoon , do you put the iron with the right angle up and hang the meat directly off the iron (^) or do you do it the (L) way and hang hooks off the iron? Hopefully this question makes sense??
TB , The sides are equal so I do an upside down V ( ^) . I buy premade strings from TSM and slide the strings through the angle iron.

I've been looking online for some examples, but those that I could find were put in smokers with what looks like removable grate rails/hangers...mine is not (formed into the sidewalls and they're just deep enough to grab the grates and hold them in place).

I think what I'm gonna try is the next time I go to HD, I'll grab a few s-hooks (SS) and a wood dowel that'll fit into the hook opening and see what I can come up with...if all else fails, I'll poke more holes and cover them when not in use.

Thanks for the replies!

Sherryt
Here are a couple more photos of my mb smoker. Although mine is electric and yours is gas, I believe it is the same setup with 1/2" grooves to accept mb racks. I used 5/8" wooden dowels and carved the dowels to fit into the grooves for a tighter fit. Then, just tie your summer sausages on the dowels, I can get 4 or 5 sausages on each dowel and at least 3 dowels spaced evenly into the grooves

Attachments

• 20221226_155233.jpg
    20221226_155233.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 20221226_155356.jpg
    20221226_155356.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 132
I've been looking online for some examples, but those that I could find were put in smokers with what looks like removable grate rails/hangers...mine is not (formed into the sidewalls and they're just deep enough to grab the grates and hold them in place).

I think what I'm gonna try is the next time I go to HD, I'll grab a few s-hooks (SS) and a wood dowel that'll fit into the hook opening and see what I can come up with...if all else fails, I'll poke more holes and cover them when not in use.

Thanks for the replies!
I use this in my MES smoker, it does not have formed grooves and also has wire rack holders screwed into the walls.

I bought a half sheet of untreated birch wood from Home Depot and measured up and cut these:
W1bhJzS.png

The "V" chaped grooves used to be way more precise but later I upgraded to much bigger wooden dowels and just did a quick hack job to make more and deeper ones. If you get the proper size Oak wooden dowels to begin with you can cut better "V" shaped grooves than I have hahaha. Mine is 100% functional though so thats all that matters at the moment :)

These slide down flat against the wall and into the rack grooves like so:
hdPsLt5.png

As you can see from the picture my much thicker wooden dowels span the width of my smoker and the "V" shaped notches hold them in place.

If you or someone you know can pull the measurements and make the cuts, this is a pretty simple way to be able to use dowels and hang sausage, hams, turkeys, etc.

Another approach would be to buy something like these PLAIN steel (NON-galvanized) angle iron pieces. Cut them to size screw them to your walls at the top on each side, but leaving enough room for 5/8 inch thick Oak dowels to fit and not hit the top or any obstructions (left top of my smoker has a light so that's as high as I could go within mine):
fFzaf55.png

You can arrange them along the side walls in either of these positions:
23jqywm.png

The angle steel/iron is more elegant but takes tools that can cut it like a rotary tool with metal cutting discs and a good steel drilling bit (not a problem to get).
The wood side rod holder approach is much easier fabricate but takes more time.

Materials can easily be gotten at a Home Depot or Lowes near you.

In any case I hope this gives you some ideas on what you can DIY for your setup :)

Reactions: SherryT
Great job and great looking sausage!

If you do the sausage hanging "mod" you can hang 20 pounds no problem in an MES 40.

The mod is to cut some wood that slides behind the rack holders at the top. The wood presses against the left wall and right wall and slides down to be held in place by the rack holder bars.

This wood has 4 little "V" shaped notches cut into it and you place little wooden towels in the notches.

Hang the sausage from the wooden dowels.

Here's an example (not my pic), I use the thinner dowel but you can move up to the thicker ones like in the pic
View attachment 517853

Oops, see you beat me to it tallbm tallbm

I used a 1x6" and drilled 5 - 1/2" holes down the center and then ripped the 1x6 in half. Dowels fit nicely

Lol, I think the reason Masterbuilt smokers are so popular is that they are easy to modify and kind of fun to do so. It reminds me of my Jeep, without mods. it's not much of a vehicle but you can do all kinds of things to improve it. Masterbuilt smokers are horrible out of the box but start adding thinks and voila!!
I like Tallbm's mod on this one it will give me more height in my 30" electric Masterbuilt.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky