Steve's Carolina style BBQ sauce for PP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ha!  Sounds like my wife!   We are have tried so many BBQ recipes and most have ketchup in them as a base and if she knows it is in there she will not like it!
 Ketchup is not allowed past the front door in my  house.  I might give the second one a try but I can not handle anything with ketsup period. No disrespect Steve but Ketchup is evil to my taste buds 

Steve! I made up a batch of your sauce. It's resting in the fridge as instructed, but I gotta tell ya I already had a little on some butts I did over the weekend. It is very, very good. I am thinking of doing a few shots of it later.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

Thanks Squirrel! Its good as soon as its done, I just find that it really takes off after resting. I shake it a few times a day while its resting and sometimes I sneak some when I open the fridge.

icon_lol.gif

Steve! I made up a batch of your sauce. It's resting in the fridge as instructed, but I gotta tell ya I already had a little on some butts I did over the weekend. It is very, very good. I am thinking of doing a few shots of it later.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

I've been browsing around the internet and have seen some retched looking ideas for lexington sauce. The recipes I've seen have a almost equal ketchup to vinegar ratio. Lexington is about 25 minutes away from my town and I can promise you these places aren't serving that. At least Speedy's and Lexington BBQ aren't. Just wanted to post this in case anyone was thinking of making the sauce I posted and adjusting the ketchup amounts. DON"T TAKE ADVICE ON CAROLINA CUE FROM BOBBY FLAY! Not knockin him, he just doesn't know bbq. Ok got it out, end of rant.

Your recipe is very similar to mine Steve. I don't know my amounts though. I kept messin with it til the wife said it was authentic. She was born and raised here. I don't cook mine. I let it sit in the fridge a day or two then pour it through a strainer into a squirt bottle. I prefer the thick stuff better myself but when in Carolina...

Last edited:
Its not about amounts man you just play with it til ya like it! I never thought about straining it thats not a bad idea. I like to heat it to disolve all the sugars and keep it thin. I don't mind the thick stuff on some things but I don't want it anywhere near my pulled pork haha. You know the saying, "when in Cackalacky..." Sorry about the late reply I just saw this today.

Steve

Your recipe is very similar to mine Steve. I don't know my amounts though. I kept messin with it til the wife said it was authentic. She was born and raised here. I don't cook mine. I let it sit in the fridge a day or two then pour it through a strainer into a squirt bottle. I prefer the thick stuff better myself but when in Carolina...

doing a butt next week. I like both eastern and Lexington style but my wife is a pure Lexington girl....we only live about 30 minutes from Lexington...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky