Steamed Lobster Tails - cook times?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I just picked up 1/2 dozen lobster tails and want to cook them in a pit - literally. I want to dig a hole, place coals and a grate, cover the tails and steam the hell out of them. Has anyone ever done something similar? Any idea how long I would need to steam them for?

I’ve never done it but I did see it on a travel channel show once. They put wet seaweed down and all kinds of lobsters and shellfish and steamed for about an hour. Looked awesome. Sorry I’m not much help. Let us know how it goes

Type and size will play a big roll in time. I'm assuming you are going to clean the vein out? Lobsters tails like gentle heat and depending on the cook method....7 to 18 mins. I "roast" them all the time and they are 15 to 18 min. it is about 350-375 at the top and these were 18 min. The split shell is for presentation and to insulate and soften the heat.
CopperLobster.jpg

Just me but putting them in a pit in an unknown temp/environment would risk over cooking them.....most people wouldn't know if one is over cooked but I would want to be able to pull them when perfect.....

If you put a pot of butter in the pit with the cleaned tails and poached them for 10 to 12 mins then let them settle for a few more off the heat..... Yum....

Good luck getting advice. It’s not hard but you can google it, Manhattan clam bake will send you in the right direction.

I would not do them in a pit either. Depending on type lobster they may already be cooked and if not it doesn't take long nor a lot of heat.

Bake, broil, grill are the best approaches. IT should be between 140-145. And the shell deep red.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky