Starting bacon for the first time (do I have this right)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
Today I picked up our hog that we got at the fair this year and I have one about 2-3lb side in the fridge defrosting. The other 5 are in the freezer want to make sure I get one down before doing them all. I did get the cure from the butchter and they stated to us a 10-1 ratio. So I am guessing for about every 10oz of water I use 1 oz of cure from how it sounded?

What I want to do is get the side in the cure tomarrow and then let is stay in the fridge that I have at about 38F till about sunday morning. From there I want to get the smoker going that morning.

From what I have read is that I want to smoke at around a very cool about 150deg? I am just not sure how long to leave it in smoker. The butcher did tell me that about 1/2 an hour after I pull it from the smoker is the easyest time to pull the skin off the bacon.

Thanks for any tips on this I have been searching I just want to make sure I have the right.

Veneer, After the belly is cured it's bacon. The time you smoke it is up to you depending on how smokey you like it.. I smoked mine today at 100deg for 5 hours using hickory .. as far as your butchers cure I have no idea .. I just use kosha salt and sugar no nitrates ..
I would think 150deg would be a li'l high seeing how a rare piece of meat is for me 140deg. But then again .. I could be wrong.
Your math on the 10 to 1 ratio is good... btw .. we want pics .. laugh
Joe

Veener,check my thread titled Cristmas Day Bacons,that will give you a good idea of my method with pics.

Thanks,

I just have a quick question I see your brine was

5 quarts of ice water 38-40 deg
1 1/3 cup powdered dextrose
1/3 cup instacure #1
1 lb salt

The cure I have reminds me a lot of brown suger in textrure.

So for me would I take what you have 1 1/3 cup powdered dextrose , 1/3 cup instacure #1 , 1 lb salt and just equal that into the cure that I got from my butcher? This is the main part that is confusing me over all is just the amount to use. The reason in most searches like yours I found you make your own.

****edit*****

I called my butcher I found out I was making this much more harder then it should be. For the bacon they said to coat it in the cure like a rub all over and in every crevis and make sure it is fully covered in water. For the ham it is 1 lb of cure for every 10lbs of pork. So I found about plasic container and I fulled cover the pork side in cure and half filled the container with water I would say about 1/2 gal. When I put it in it was not fully covered so I added about 6 more cups water.

So now it is in the fridge I have it at about 38deg in temp and I will keep in in there till Sunday so it will be in there for about 5 days and then I will get it on the smoker. Then it will be the fun of trying to smoke it. I think I will do it for about 4 hours at 150 and see how it goes.

I have to say this has been fun so far just learning this. If someone would have told me that about 3 years ago when I got this smoker that I would be making my own bacon and buying a hog from the fair for it, and mostly going though about 300lb of lump cole and about 60lbs of wood I would never have belived it.

Ok got my first slab of bacon done. I made I would say is about 2.5 lbs. I let is stay in the frige and cure for 6 days. I smoked it at about 125 for 7 hours. (I think I made a mistake when I but it skin side down because the smoking did not get into it till I filped it. After smoking I cut off the skin and let it sit. After about 20 min it was time time to cut. All I have to say is my meat slicer did not like it. The meat was flexable and I have to slice it a little thiker then I like. I am wondering of I would put it in the fridge over night or something before cutting to get the meat a bit more stiff. But I do have to say the bacon is ver good. It has a very nice sweet taste to it and with it being a fresh hog the meat has a great taste so much that I am happy I did not use a rub.

Thanks for your help on this in about 2 weeks I will get a 2nd batch going I have 5 about 3 lb packages still to make.

Veneer .. Its easier to remove the skin after it's smoked ... I remove it before I dry cure it . .. and it's easier to slice if you put it in the freezer for awhile first .. Congratulations ... on making your first bacon..

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky