Start of a garden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
The start of a garden. Going to have to figure out how how to put containers down without Gretchen getting into them. After I filled them up went into house and when came back out she had one completely empty and spread all over the place. That dirt is not cheap! As you can see I don't know what I am doing.

20210403_103255.jpg 20210403_103337.jpg 20210403_103349.jpg

The start of a garden. Going to have to figure out how how to put containers down without Gretchen getting into them. After I filled them up went into house and when came back out she had one completely empty and spread all over the place. That dirt is not cheap! As you can see I don't know what I am doing.

View attachment 491678View attachment 491679View attachment 491680
Looks good to me. I have trouble with squirrels digging in my planters. i made cages out of 4' garden fence that sit in my totes, kinda like tomato cages. In the pots i put chicken wire around the plants to keep them from stealing the veggies. don't know how it would work with a dog, mine doesn't bother them......she's more interested in the grill

Reactions: Colin1230
Looks good to me. I have trouble with squirrels digging in my planters. i made cages out of 4' garden fence that sit in my totes, kinda like tomato cages. In the pots i put chicken wire around the plants to keep them from stealing the veggies. don't know how it would work with a dog, mine doesn't bother them......she's more interested in the grill
Yeah I have a lot of squirrels. Might have to do something like that.

Reactions: jim1251
Yeah I have a lot of squirrels. Might have to do something like that.
My philosophy on plants is of the school of "whatever doesn't kill them makes them stronger." (i've killed a few ) the toughest part of container gardening is keeping the moisture right...on hot summer days i've had to water more than once. then during heavy rains, you have to have enough drainage so they don't drown. tomatoes are tough though.....they have to be with me tending them

Reactions: jcam222
No garden this year for us as the whole hernia thing has me side-lined from doing anything basically.A small patch for the habeneros is about it this year.

• Sad
Reactions: jim1251
No garden this year for us as the whole hernia thing has me side-lined from doing anything basically.A small patch for the habeneros is about it this year.
I was thinking about habenero but peppers are pretty cheap to buy. In the past that all I did was herbs and peppers but ended up with way to many peppers than I could. I may just do the one.

Starting a garden can be a fun and sometimes challenging adventure! To keep her away from the containers, you could try placing them in an area she can't access or using barriers like fencing or netting. It takes some trial and error, but you'll figure it out!

Last edited:

View attachment 491678View attachment 491679View attachment 491680
You should look into the fiber/felt grow pots...easier to move around. And yeah..you got that right...dirt aint cheap! Whoever come up with that saying has never been to Lowes or Home Depot. But hey..you got a nice start there.

I have a few pepper plants going too. Relaxing...uhhh...not sure about that. :emoji_thinking:

1686089855628.jpeg

Dirt -just like water- is cheap.......it's the processing, packaging, shipping, and convenience you are paying for.

I have two beds 4' X 24'. I grow in one and compost in the other. Alternate every year. Been doing this for 12 years. I also trench compost a massive amount of fish carcasses in the compost bed....300-500# per year. That is the only maintenance I do for my garden. I do not supplement fertilizer. My Celebrity tomato pants are 5' -6' tall right now with 20-25# of tomatoes per plant.

Reactions: bertman and LhornR
indaswamp indaswamp ...very true about the soil and water. Thirty years ago no one could imagine paying for bottled water..but here we are.

Should work with the fish...thats how the Native Americans did it. Fish fertilizer is big business now too. I use it on my peppers.

I'm a renter so my garden has to be mobile unfortunately.

Reactions: indaswamp
I got a start ......... 10 beefsteak mater plants (left a spot for a couple Romas in the row) and that pepper is called a mammoth jalapeno. It's supposed to have heat like a regular jap with bigger fruit. If it produces like a regular jap, one is enough to pick off of for ABT's as well as canning some for winter.

I have some cukes started in pots that will go in once they get a little bigger. Not doing corn this year as I'm tired of fighting the raccoons over it. Last year they were pulling it down before it even made ears and I always end up having to put an electric fence to keep them out.

Green beans, maybe, but last year the rabbits would mow 'em down as fast as they sprouted and I barely got a few messes to eat off of. Will put a few bell peppers in since my freezer stash is getting low. I am doing pumpkins for the grand kids since they take a lot of room, and room I have this year.

1686107081532.png

Reactions: LhornR
Hey DougE DougE , your garden plans sound awesome! Beefsteak tomato plants and the mammoth jalapeno pepper sound like they'll make for some delicious dishes. It's smart to plan ahead for ABT's and winter canning. I totally get the raccoon struggle with corn – sometimes they're a bit too eager for their share.
If you're looking to enhance your gardening space, you might want to explore the corner summerhouses from https://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/corner-summerhouses/. They could provide a cozy spot to relax and enjoy the fruits (and veggies) of your labor.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
Hey DougE DougE , your garden plans sound awesome! Beefsteak tomato plants and the mammoth jalapeno pepper sound like they'll make for some delicious dishes. It's smart to plan ahead for ABT's and winter canning. I totally get the raccoon struggle with corn – sometimes they're a bit too eager for their share.
I didn't really get much heat in what I've done with the peppers so far, but it has rained more than usual so far, this summer. I think hot and dry conditions give you more heat. I may try the mammoth again next year, but will also do regular japs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky