Star Spangled Banner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Star Spangled Banner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
In 1991, I thought I heard the best rendition of the National Anthem. Then on Sunday 12th of February I heard a completely different rendition. So my question is: Which rendition did you like better? The powerful vocals of Whitney or the soulful ones of Chris.

Please be civil and restrict your responses to the Star Spangled Banner. The poll is open for 7 days, and if you liked someone else's version more. I've provide a space to check other(although you'll have to add it in a reply), and you may change your vote anytime until the poll closes. That is if I created this thread correctly.

Chris

I have to admit, Chris's version started bringing a tear to my eye. While Whitney's got me pumped up.

Last edited:
I chose other. Whitney and Chris did a great job, but hearing Jennifer Nettles sing it at the Battle at Bristol in 2016 in front of around 160,000 fans was truly incredible. That game set an attendance record for an American football game.

Reactions: gmc2003
I chose other. Whitney and Chris did a great job, but hearing Jennifer Nettles sing it at the Battle at Bristol in 2016 in front of around 160,000 fans was truly incredible. That game set an attendance record for an American football game.
I'm not fimilar with Jennifer. I'll have to look it up

Chris

I lean towards a balled version myself, Chris did it right. But anything Jennifer Nettle sings is money, but I think Chris took it to a different place!

I went back and listened to Whitney, Jennifer and Chris. Here is my run down.

Your perception is your reality.

I remember Whitney as being about the best I had ever heard, but remember we had just entered the Desert Storm gulf war. People were anxious and we as a nation had not been in a conflict since Nam. Whitney has incredible pipes and knocked it out of the park for XXV. She made us feel patriotic on a basic war footing. Was excellent.

Jennifer Nettles sang in 2017 at Bristol, this girl is one of the most talented female vocalists ever, she is exceptional. She delivered our National Anthem very professionally and arguably one of the best vocal renditions ever, but we as people were done with war, we were almost trying to understand who we were as a nation. She delivered and we received as such. Jennifer had not much emotion in that rendition, and it came off super clean but a bit cool.

Chris Stapleton gave his rendition on Sunday. To me this came across almost like a love song. More like someone who has lost something but then redescovers it again. We are living in uncertain times and I think Chris nailed the passion and tempo for today and connected with this in the state of our nation just like Whitney did in 91. Two totally different renditions, two totally different sets of affairs in our nation. Our national anthem is an exceptional song. Great artist have the ability to deliver it as meaningful for the day. Excellent.

Wayne P. Messmer The tenor who used to do it for the Chicago Cubs, Blackhawks, Bulls and Da Bears back in the 80's and I believe 90's.

Reactions: chopsaw
I had to vote 'Other'.
And not for any Super Bowl or other such performance.

Way back in the day, 1980 something, back in SoCal, when I was like maybe 18-19 I had some older friends with a garage band.
Not too shabby, pretty good actually for a group of guys that just liked to jam together and catch a good buzz.
I was their lights man, I had that garage wired with lights that'd do most small venues proud.
I controlled the lights and it was our own private concert arena.

Anyways, cut to the chase here...
We were looking for a new singer at one point and put an Ad in the paper.
Had a good number of guys and a couple of ladies audition.
One of the ladies was a little waif of a petite black girl, who walked up and almost walked away when she saw a bunch of 20 something longhairs.
We got her to stop and come inside, told her we wanted to hear her sing and not have completely wasted her time.
She suggested the Star Spangled Banner, asking if Tim (lead guitar and owner of garage) could play it on his six string?
Damned straight he could.
This pint sized lady belted out the most incredible rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, she left us stunned!
She was a songbird, a God gifted singer, truly incredible, amazing she wasn't at some school for the gifted or already a famous voice.
She was told she was welcome anytime to stop by and sing us a song, unfortunately for us she never did.

Here I am over 30 years later, remembering fondly and counting myself lucky to have heard her sing that song.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigfurmn
I went back and listened to Whitney, Jennifer and Chris. Here is my run down.

Your perception is your reality.

Jennifer Nettles sang in 2017 at Bristol, this girl is one of the most talented female vocalists ever, she is exceptional. She delivered our National Anthem very professionally and arguably one of the best vocal renditions ever, but we as people were done with war, we were almost trying to understand who we were as a nation. She delivered and we received as such. Jennifer had not much emotion in that rendition, and it came off super clean but a bit cool.
She sang it in 2016 at Bristol, not 2017.

Last edited:
Damn, I'm glad no one has said Roseanne Barre! Even just jesting.
Chris Stapleton was the right man for the job. His rendition will be remembered as Whitney's is.

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky