Stainless Steel Homemade Electric Smoker help needed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

REK

Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
Hello guys this is my first post, besides the short roll call post. I ran across a problem with my little project I’m requesting some help with.
I’m “Trying” to build a small stainless steel smoker to bring with us when we go camping in our travel trailer. Mostly to smoke chicken, burgers and an occasional pot roast, nothing large and only enough for 2 people to eat in one meal. I decided to try to go electric for simplicity with the AMNPS tube for smoke.
I was able to pick up an “Orion Cooker” second hand for the chamber, I thought this would be a good choice since its small 13” diameter and already had 3 cooking grates. So, I cut off the charcoal tray on bottom and the small one on top. I put an Butterball oil-less turkey fryer analog heating element 2” from the bottom. I also cut a 2” x2.5” vent on the side near the top, without any kind of stack.
In testing it without meat I was able to keep decent temps and the AMNPS loaded with 6” of Pit Boss pellets lasted about 2 hrs. So I figured I was ready for some meat on the smoker.
I loaded with 3 boneless chicken breast with dry rub on the top rack, a drip pan on the middle shelf, no water tray or any kind of heat sink.
So a few things surprised me.
  1. The temps from my Maverick probe at grate level stayed fairly constant from 220-280 some of it me playing with it, but it took 4 HOURS to cook these little chicken breast. Do you guys think it’s possible the vent with no stack is letting some cool air in which prolonged the cook? The Meat to the vent is about 8” apart.
  2. The AMNPS took about an hour to burn up 6” of pellets. It is the first time I use Pit Boss Classic pellets, do they burn faster then usual or am I getting too much air in the chamber? I know electric smokers are not highly thought of, but I wanted to try this hoping it can cook a decent meal at the campsite.
    So, if you have any thoughts on my 2 questions please advise. Or is this just a bad idea?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 48F3574D-EA08-43A7-B259-7A4B22D16FC2.jpeg
    48F3574D-EA08-43A7-B259-7A4B22D16FC2.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Try another run, same meat, same wood, same temp, same everything and insulate the smoker with a water heater blanket or some other medium not prone to catching fire and burning. The vent might be letting too much heat escape so if you can stop it down by half or so and still keep the wood smoldering/smoking, you should be fine.

3 each 3/4" holes near the bottom and 3-4 3/4" holes on the top of the side walls should do you just fine for air movement...
That's what I have on my MES30 electric smoker... works awesome...

Thanks Sarge, one of my concerns was that it would not be insulated. Once it warms up a tad I will try that.

Dave, thanks for your response! You think I need more air flow? Not doubting your expertise at all, like I said I’m willing to try anything you guys suggest.

Dave, thanks for your response! You think I need more air flow? Not doubting your expertise at all, like I said I’m willing to try anything you guys suggest.
[/QUOTE]

I think you have too much air flow.... 3 each 3/4" holes near the bottom and 3-4 each 3/4" holes on the top of the side walls should do you just fine for air movement...
A 55 gal UDS needs 2 each 3/4" inlets and 6-8 each 3/4" outlets and it's burning charcoal...
like I noted, my MES30 has 3 each 3/4" inlets and 4 each 1" outlets, or close to that in size... You need to slow down the air a bit so the element can heat stuff up and slow down the smoke... You are generating a small amount of smoke and it needs to linger a bit...
Those 2 holes I can see are HUGE... Are they exhaust holes or what.. I can't quite figure out what their purpose is.. The one on top looks like an exhaust...

I think you have too much air flow.... 3 each 3/4" holes near the bottom and 3-4 each 3/4" holes on the top of the side walls should do you just fine for air movement...
A 55 gal UDS needs 2 each 3/4" inlets and 6-8 each 3/4" outlets and it's burning charcoal...
like I noted, my MES30 has 3 each 3/4" inlets and 4 each 1" outlets, or close to that in size... You need to slow down the air a bit so the element can heat stuff up and slow down the smoke... You are generating a small amount of smoke and it needs to linger a bit...
Those 2 holes I can see are HUGE... Are they exhaust holes or what.. I can't quite figure out what their purpose is.. The one on top looks like an exhaust...
[/QUOTE]
Dave, sorry I did not see this post. The one at the top is a vent, The one at the bottom is actually for the analog controller to plug into. See the photo. Should a small amount of air be alowed in at the bottom?
I’ll close off about 75% of the vent and restrict the air a little more at the bottom and smoke a few burgers tonight and see how it goes.
thanks, Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 26
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky