STAINLESS FREEZER TO SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chasser

Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Hi everyone, i am searching for some advice. I want to transform a Stainless steel freezer into a smoker. It is a True, model T-23. This will have an internal propane burner. After removing all of the electrical items, condenser etc... do you think i need to remove the CFC free polyurethane foam from the walls and replace it?. My biggest worry is that if it would be toxic. I do not want to contaminate the meat.

I do not have this freezer yet, so i do not know how much work it will be to dismantle the walls. I am hoping that i do not have to. Any ideas would be very helpful.  Below are some specs to the freezer:

http://www.chefsfirst.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/TRUET-12F.pdf

DOORS:

300 series stainless steel exterior with white aluminum interior to

match cabinet liner. Doors extend full width of cabinet shell. Door

gaskets of one piece construction.

• Lifetime guaranteed adjustable torsion type closure system with

aluminum block supports. The face of each door fitted with a 12"

long recessed handle with sheetmetal interlock. Handles are foamedin-

place to insure permanent attachment.

INSULATION:

• Entire cabinet structure and doors insulated using foamed-in-place

CFC free polyurethane foam.

SHELVING:

• Adjustable vinyl coated wire shelves (3 per section). Shelves capable

of supporting up to 250 lbs.

• Full height shelf support pilasters, with double oblong holes on 1/2"

centers. Pilasters made of the same material as cabinet interior. Four

(4) chrome plated, stainless steel shelf clips to be included for each

shelf.

LIGHTING:

• Incandescent interior lighting. Light(s) activated by rocker switch

mounted above door(s).

I checked out your link. Great Job!! I figured it would take some time removing the insulation. I noticed your iside wall are stainless. Mine are painted aluminum. Do you think these need to be burnt off or could they remain the way they are without creating any toxins?

With a gas burner, I would definitely remove the poly foam insulation.  Electric may be less of a concern *IF* you are going to keep the smoker temps in the 225* range.

If you go that route, please post info on how you disassembled the cabinet to get the foam out.  One of these day's I have a warmer I need to take the foam out of but the disassembly method is not obvious so I'm looking for intel on that project.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky