St. Louis Spares

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Houndstooth

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2022
Utah
I’ve been having smoked meat withdrawals and we’re not quite ready to re-stock with our annual Berkshire so I asked the Wife if she would pick up a 3 pack of Ribs from Costco. Only $30 which ain’t a bad deal as far as I’m concerned.
Squirted with some yellow mustard and rubbed em’ down with a “Yardbird” & “Meat Mitch” mix.
CDC2F06A-06DE-4ADB-B53A-8ED6B96160A3.jpeg

3 hours at 225F
5E5CBA3E-45A7-489B-B242-BEAE82D347C6.jpeg

Moped on some “finishing sauce” we use this stuff on everything. Wrapped it up in butcher paper. First time using butcher paper on ribs. We normally use foil but I took the bait on the peach paper fad and now it needs using up.

After an hour we unwrapped and slathered on the sauce. We wanted a sweet sauce this time so I cheated and threw down some blues hog.
After another hour we took it off and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
D252A759-19B9-48BC-A21D-B55F7EE68EBB.jpeg

4EA13D64-12D4-465F-91DA-74A165E93A7C.jpeg

So the end result…. There were some crispy bits and instead of a 3-1-1 this rack would have benefited from a 3-1-0.5.
I’m really trying to use my senses more and more to determine “done-ness” instead of time and temp. We’ll log this into the diary and continue down the rabbit hole. Two more racks left and I do believe we’re going to do a Mexican style crockpot with one of them.

Thanks everybody. Looking at the “100’s of hours wasted” and “Al’s method” threads, I’m going to probe em’ next time and see what happens. I’m sure they’ll turn out amazing. I’ll keep you all posted.

So many people and so many ways to do them ,
The peoples ribs? What you cooking up the there in the frigid north?
Jim

Now that I read it back .... sounds a little strange, OR does it
Middle name Dommer,

Salt and Pepper, little sweet Baby rays , Mmmmmm Good

Ha Ha , I kill me

David

Those should be on a billboard advertising ribs! What was your opinion on the peach paper vs. foil? I'm in the same boat, I have about 1.3 miles of butcher paper I'd like to start using up, and ribs going on today.

I’ve been having smoked meat withdrawals and we’re not quite ready to re-stock with our annual Berkshire so I asked the Wife if she would pick up a 3 pack of Ribs from Costco. Only $30 which ain’t a bad deal as far as I’m concerned.
Squirted with some yellow mustard and rubbed em’ down with a “Yardbird” & “Meat Mitch” mix.
View attachment 648315
3 hours at 225F
View attachment 648384
Moped on some “finishing sauce” we use this stuff on everything. Wrapped it up in butcher paper. First time using butcher paper on ribs. We normally use foil but I took the bait on the peach paper fad and now it needs using up.

After an hour we unwrapped and slathered on the sauce. We wanted a sweet sauce this time so I cheated and threw down some blues hog.
After another hour we took it off and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
View attachment 648385
View attachment 648386
So the end result…. There were some crispy bits and instead of a 3-1-1 this rack would have benefited from a 3-1-0.5.
I’m really trying to use my senses more and more to determine “done-ness” instead of time and temp. We’ll log this into the diary and continue down the rabbit hole. Two more racks left and I do believe we’re going to do a Mexican style crockpot with one of them.
Sounds about right I do a 3 1 .5 most times. i usually only change the first 3 hours as I wrap when i get a decent bark and color.

Reactions: Houndstooth
Those should be on a billboard advertising ribs! What was your opinion on the peach paper vs. foil? I'm in the same boat, I have about 1.3 miles of butcher paper I'd like to start using up, and ribs going on today.
Haha! Thanks Big Grouch!
I like the paper. It seems to keep the ribs a little dryer if that makes sense. Not so steamy.
How’d the ribs end up for ya?

Sounds about right I do a 3 1 .5 most times. i usually only change the first 3 hours as I wrap when i get a decent bark and color.
I’m trying to keep my ears open. The meat will talk to you if you listen. 😎

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky