SSSSSmokin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Suprnova74

Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Hi all, I just want to thank you guys for the wealth of information on this site. I used it to do my first "big" smoke this morning, so figured I'd use this opportunity to introduce my smokeyness and give a "Thank you" :emoji_wink:

I've been stalking a smoker for ages and finally pulled the trigger on a Masterbuilt 230s vertical smoker a few weeks back. I initially wanted a vertical offset, but unfortunately the COVID situation made finding one in stock anywhere/online impossible. It was probably for the best as my deck is on the smaller side anyway.

Anyway, so far, I smoked chicken breasts on it twice using hickory. I learned quickly to spread the wood chips in the outside edges of the "smoke tray" away from the odd vent gaps this model leverages or else they'll just burn up and offer poor smoke. The first time was perfect as the results were a lovely bronzed chicken and so juicy. I've never been able to cook chicken like that before, regardless of the method! The second time, I think my temperature probe batteries were low as the chicken breasts supposedly took forever to read 165 degrees. Turns out they were cooked long before I went with my gut feeling that it was too long so had almost chicken jerky instead! Nothing some extra BBQ or salad dressing (putting it in salad is excellent) couldn't fix. Live and learn :)

My wife was hankering for some pulled pork, so this morning's target is an 8 pound Pork butt. The cap was already pretty well trimmed so it looks to have that 1/8-1/4" remaining. I opted for a dry brine, 2 Tablespoons salt and sugar spread liberally, wrapped in plastic wrap and in the fridge overnight. I got up at 5, started up the smoker to get to temp and while it was warming up, rubbed on the ... well... rub! Here's the little guy in action as of this morning as I just threw on my first "big" smoke job. Sorry, no pics of the roast before I put it in, I was a little bleary eyed as I didn't have my coffee yet ☕
20200617_073221.jpg

The only modification I've done so far was after researching common issues with this model, I also bought a roll of Grill door seal and applied it to both the smoke chamber and "firebox" doors. It seals great now. And, a happy accident left enough room for two probe wires to fit through the gap I left :)

20200617_073228.jpg

I also decided to add a foil packet of apple/hickory with a few small slices in the top to add a longer smoke. Once the roast was in and all setup, I noticed this lovely site (not sure why it turned sideways, snagit decided to flip it):

ThinBlue.gif

Thanks to you guys, I'll know not to panic if(more likely when) "The Stall" occurs!

YIS (Yours in Smoking),

Dan

Welcome to the fun, good luck and enjoy that toy.

Chris

Glad to have you join in and looking good so far! If you don't like a super crazy bark you can always wrap at the stall to help speed it up or if you are in a pinch for time.

Welcome from Ohio! You and that new smoker are going to get to know each other very well! You came to the right place! We're all glad to have you! Happy smoking!

Welcome from Mississippi. I have the Masterbuilt Gashouse version (it only has the one door) and I love it. Learning the smoker game myself and putting everything I can find in there. Have fun, share your cooks (we love pics, and there is a wealth of knowledge here. Smoke on!

Thanks for the welcome :) I'll grab a pick when I check on it and insert the tmperature probe in an hour or so.

Glad to have you join in and looking good so far! If you don't like a super crazy bark you can always wrap at the stall to help speed it up or if you are in a pinch for time.
BLASPHEMY! :emoji_laughing:

Also, forgot to mention, I'm from PA.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Welcome from Iowa! Glad to have ya here. Sounds like you're off to a good start

Ryan

Welcome! I noticed you put a seal on yours. I have some smoking coming out the front doors but read some reviews that sometimes the seal burns off, let me know how yours hold up. Also, I bought a 10" cast iron pan and my wood doesn't flare up as bad compared to using the tray that comes with the unit.

Welcome! I noticed you put a seal on yours. I have some smoking coming out the front doors but read some reviews that sometimes the seal burns off, let me know how yours hold up. Also, I bought a 10" cast iron pan and my wood doesn't flare up as bad compared to using the tray that comes with the unit.
So far so good and even survived the first "burn-in" running it at max for 30+ minutes.

I've been fighting keeping the smoker at temp with fluctuations up to 258 and dips down to 205. Worse than a rollercoaster. The upside is the built-in thermostat seems to be pretty spot-on:

20200617_124727.jpg

Here's progress at ~4.5 hours in. Internal temp reading approximately 145F

20200617_115755.jpg

And at 11 hours in. Internal temp 156F. I've had to refill the water pan twice so far. not sure how worthwhile it is to do so. Time will tell. Temp was running a bit low at 215-220. I've adjusted it a bit to 230ish. hopefully it holds there :emoji_angry:.

20200617_171925.jpg

I foresee a long evening in my future :)

Looking good though.
I used to have a propane King Kooker very hard to keep regulated temp. That is why I switched first to electric then added pellet. Gave propane to brother for extra smoker doing deer sausage.

it's been 17 hours cooking. I decided to switch it to the oven and raised the heat to 275 to finish it off. I took it out of the smoker @ 165F and it's now 174F after being in the oven for 30ish minutes. I think the stall is over (or just the higher heat is helping :) )

Started cooking at ~6AM 6/17/2020. Finally hit temp at 1:45AM 6/18/2020. Just shy of 20 hours! What an indoctrination for my first large smoke. After a "restful" 3.5 hours sleep, I can show you the results. Speaking of...

2:15AM, after a 30 minute rest. At first I thought the bone wouldn't slide out, but it turns out the bark was just stuck to it. After loosening it up, it slid right out.
20200618_021552.jpg

Taking a peek at the smoke ring and. umm.... errr.. "sampling" the bark. You know, to make sure it's done properly. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!
20200618_021800.jpg

Just used two forks to shred it. Worked great.
20200618_025130.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys, you helped prevent this from being a 24 hour smoke job

:emoji_sunglasses: and now time for copious amounts of ☕

Dan from PA

looks good. Im relatively new myself. Had my smoker for about 6-7 weeks now. My 1st Butt took 13.5 Hours it was about a 7 pounder. I am doing a 9 pound tomorrow. will be starting it about midnight hoping itll be ready early afternoonish...

Started cooking at ~6AM 6/17/2020. Finally hit temp at 1:45AM 6/18/2020. Just shy of 20 hours! What an indoctrination for my first large smoke. After a "restful" 3.5 hours sleep, I can show you the results. Speaking of...

2:15AM, after a 30 minute rest. At first I thought the bone wouldn't slide out, but it turns out the bark was just stuck to it. After loosening it up, it slid right out.
View attachment 449904

Taking a peek at the smoke ring and. umm.... errr.. "sampling" the bark. You know, to make sure it's done properly. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!
View attachment 449905

Just used two forks to shred it. Worked great.
View attachment 449906

Thanks for the tips guys, you helped prevent this from being a 24 hour smoke job

:emoji_sunglasses: and now time for copious amounts of ☕

Dan from PA

Looks amazing!!!! 20 hours is a looooonnnnngggg time but if you had the temp control down that makes it less stressful lol

Reactions: Suprnova74
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky